Chapter 35: First Date! Part 1

FIRST UPLOADED: JANUARY 24, 2021 UPDATED: AUGUST 2, 2021 11:33 AM  

Moments after Kylie takes Lonnie and Matt around town; she and Matt arrive at the Crab Shack. Kylie huffs as she gets into the building as she looks at her Fit Bit. "I'm cutting it close." She sighs stressed. Matt looks at her confused. "What are you talking about?" He asks. Kylie looks up at him and rolls her eyes. "Nothing." She reaches into her Betsey Johnson purse and pulls out a small chunk of money and hands it to Matt. "Here. Order something. There should be enough there to get almost anything you want." Kylie looks toward the counter. "As long as you don't order the entire menu." She laughs nervously. Matt gets shoved into Kylie by someone coming into the restaurant. He looks at Kylie and forces a smile on his face. Pushed up against each other, Matt tries to look down into Kylie's eyes, but she's looking away. As the people stop coming in, they have enough room to separate. So he backs up and looks at her apologetically. "Sorry." He says. Kylie shrugs. "I guess we shouldn't be standing near the entrance." Kylie says, looking at the entrance door. Matt chuckles. "I reckon not."

Kylie looks at Matt and nods. "Anyway." She sighs frustrated. "Go ahead and order whatever. And I'm sorry." She says apologizing as she walks toward the women's bathroom. "Sorry for what?" Kylie stops in front of the bathroom door and looks at him. "Sorry for leaving you by yourself in a new town at a strange place." She says as she walks into the bathroom. 

"What is she talking about?" Matt mutters to himself. He shakes his head. "She's acting strange." He looks around and heads toward the counter. The old bald-headed man smiles at him. "What can I get ya today?" He asks him politely. Matt smiles back and blanks. He doesn't even know what they serve. But if it's anything like his favorite place in Adelaide, then he knows for sure what he wants. "I'm so hungry I'm afraid I didn't get a chance to look at the menu. Do you have fried crocodile bites?" The cashier smiles. "It's quite alright. And we sure do young man. Is that what you'll be chompin' on today?" Matt holds back his laugh. He shakes his head. "Yes sir. And I'd like water with it." The old man smiles. "Would ya like to make it a meal for an extra dollar? It'll get ya some larger croc bites." Matt hesitates for a second, then he realizes that Kylie likes croc bites and they could share. "I sure would. Could you add another water on that too? I have a friend with me." He says. The man nods. "I can do!" he says chipper. "Would you like fries, chips, celery, or asparagus for the side?" The short bald man asks Matt. 

Matt sighs thinking. "Ummmm.......I think I'll go with asparagus." He says remembering that Kylie loves asparagus. He smiles as turns around and looks for Kylie. His brow goes up and he sighs. "Is it a girl you waitin' for?" The man looks at Matt. Matt shifts his gaze back to the old man. "Yes. I mean no. She's already here. I just don't know where she went." He says confused. The old man nods. "Well, I'm sure she just went to the lady's room to make sure she's prettied up. That's what my wife likes to do before our dates." He laughs. "Although I tell her every day she doesn't need to get dolled up for me. She looks beautiful just as she is." He says to Matt. Matt smiles at the old man. "That's sweet sir. This girl is the same way. But I'm not sure if she knows how I feel about her." Matt sighs saddened. The bald man shakes his head and waves toward the restaurant. "Then young man you need to let her know before it's too late. I was almost too late with my wife. She was almost snatched up by another man." He tells Matt. Matt's eyes widen and his shoulders slacken. "That's already happening." The old man looks at Matt and presses buttons on the register. He hands him a paper. "This is the total of your meal today." The old man leans near Matt. "And I added a rose to be delivered to your table and our special brownie delight. Both on me." He whispers to Matt. Matt instantly perks up and smiles at the lovely old man. He grabs the man's hand and smiles. "Gracias." Matt thanks him in Spanish. 

The old man smiles widely at him. "De nada joven." Matt nods and leaves through the money Kylie gave him and gives the man the exact amount that was due. Then he takes some extra out and gives it to the man. "This is for the desert and the rose." The man shakes his head and pushes Matt's hand away. "No no. I said it was on me. I will pay for it." Matt smiles. "Then it's for the advice, sir. Thank you." He nods. The man nods back and smiles. "I hope you find your bond mate. It's important for us to find them."