CHAPTER 44: Int. Mermaid Day! Part 10

ORIGINALLY PUBLISHED: Monday, July 10, 2023

MARCH 29, 2018

Finn chuckles. "She may be." Finn runs a hand through his dark-blond hair. "But she won't get anywhere with it. I have a lot on her and I know a few good lawyers. I'm sure Kye will be fine." Kylie lets out a sigh of relief. Kevin looks at Finn. He suddenly feels like he can begin to give Finn a chance. Kevin can tell that Finn cares abut his daughter by the look in his eyes. "Gretchen is vicious and she should be avoided no matter what." Finn explains. Matt scoffs. "She's disgusting. She will hit on any male, no matter the age apparently." He says looking at Jakobe. Kevin looks at Jakobe and Jakobe nods. "That's true. She's super creepy."

Finn's chest tightens. "I never expected to have to tell anyone about my past. Especially my girlfriends father. But I suppose I have no other choice." Finn sighs feeling defeated. Kevin glares at Finn. "Past?" Kevin says curiously. He glances at Kylie. "I thought he had a vow to God?" Kylie shrugs. "He does." She quitly says through her teeth as she shoots her dad a 'be quit' look. Kevin recoils back.

"I do. My past is...." Finn groans. "Complicated." He looks at Kylie. "Thanks to Gretchen." He rolls his eyes.

"I thought I told you guys that this couldn't happen." Kevin looks from Kylie to Finn. His voice raising as he notices their hands intertwined. "I don't approve of you dating my daughter." Kevin kneels down in front of Finn. He looks at Finn, diectly in the eyes. "You are 20 and my little girl is only 16." Kevin shakes his head and huffs dissaprovong. "It's not something that should be happening." Kevin takes a deep breath and exhales. He looks away from his daughter and Finn. He looks over to Evie and Kaylee. "Has she been acting strange around you guys?" He asks them. Evie and Kaylee flinch. "What?" Kaylee's voice cracks. Evie nudges Kaylee. "Ummmm yeah because of her..." Evie gestures toward Kylie's tail, that ISN'T gone! "....ummmm tail." Evie shrugs. Kaylee looks at Brian and then to Kylie. "Yeah. That kind of change can't be easy."

Kevin sighs as he remembers his conversation with Brianna. "Did you get her pregnant?" Kevin's face reddens and his voice deepens. Kylie and Finn both gasp, their eyes wide. "NO DAD!" Kylie exclaims. Finn vigourously shakes his head. "Why would you think that Mr. Couture?" Finn's voice lowering, sounding defeated. Kevin shakes his head. He motions toward Kylie. "All the changes with you recently has had Brianna and I windering and we have heard rumors at school." Kevin trails off. He looks at Finn. "And you seem to be keeping secrets from us." Kevin sighs. "Which you never used to do." Kevin says upset.

"Finn wouldn't do that Mr. Couture. He respects your daughter. He loves her." Matt speaks up and sits next to Kylie. "Believe me. I tried flirting with her and Finn always has shot me down. He doesn't push her into anything and...." Matt trails off. "He is honestly a great cousin and person in general." Matt admits. Kevin's mouth hangs open. "You two are related?" Kevin asks. He looks from Finn, then to Matt. Matt and Lonnie shake their heads. "We are." Finn answers. "Interesting." Kevin says as he strokes his short 5'o clock shadow. "Any chance that you two are also...." Kevin tries to get his words out, but he fails to find the right words. Kevin's voice cracks a few times before he can find the right words. "Do you two also have a tail?" Kevin looks at Matt and Lonnie. Kylie and Finn look at them and shake their head and mouth 'no.' But they both sighs and shrug.

"Yes we do." Lonnie nudges her brother and Matt groans. "Lonnie." He says her name through clenched teeth. "They told us not to tell anyone else." Matt warns her. Lonnie looks at Kevin and sighs. "I'm sorry. But wouldn't you rather him find out this way instead of how everybody seems to find out about Mer-Folk?" Lonnie grunts annoyed. Matt nods. "Okay." He shakes his head. "We are both Mer-Folk. And before you ask," Matt looks to his sister, then to Kylie and Finn. "So are our parents." Lonnie lets out a sigh of relief. A big weight suddenly is lifted off her chest.

"I knew it!" Kaylee points at them. "I knew they looked too much like you guys to not be Mer-Folk too." Kaylee says victoriously. Evie chuckles. "You are on a roll Kayle." Evie nudges her and smiles. Kevin stares at Matt and Lonnie. He stands up, wipes the dirt off of his shorts and looks at Finn. "So...." Kevin trails off. His eyes glassy. "I think we should have a talk about you and my daughter." Finn's eyes widen in shock.

"NO." Kevin says plainly. "Don't get excited." Kevin waves him off. "You guys can't see each other any more." "And Kylie. Why did you attack that woman." Kevin redirects his focus to his daughter.

 "She didn't attack her." Kylie chuckles. "That's sort of true." Kylie sighs. "I shouldn't have. But she was trying to get to Finn." Finn nods. "She was...again." He says. "Although Kylie's behavior isn't excusable, Gretchen was provoking us." Finn explains. Kevin shakes his head. "You broke her nose Kylie." "You are lucky that you are a..." Kevin looks at Finn. "..a minor. Or else you'd have less of a chance of getting off scott-free." Kevin glares at Finn. Finn swallows hard as a lump forms in his throat.