Chapter 36: First Date Going Awry! Part 1

FIRST UPLOADED: JANUARY 26, 2021 UPDATED: AUGUST 2, 2021 11:40 AM  

"I really wish Moanie wasn't surrounded by people fishing. I really wanted to have a nice walk around the Island and have dessert in the cave." Finn parks his car in front of Kylie's house. Kylie looks at him and shrugs. "Oh well. At least we got to go to the new restaurant. It was fancier than I expected." Finn nods agreeing. "I know. I didn't expect them to have a chandelier or a big aquarium in the middle of the lobby." Kylie's eyes widen. "I know. That was a little over the top." 

Finn shrugs. "I don't think it was. We needed a nice dining place in Sooshanie." Finn looks at Kylie. Her face slackens. "I guess. I'm just not used to seeing fancy stuff like that. My dad has had money my whole life and gave me and my brother want we wanted as long as we were behaving and as long as it wasn't unnecessary. But we never really went to fancy places like that. We always prefer a nice welcoming family place to eat that serves homemade food." Kylie shrugs. 

Finn smiles. "Now I understand why you guys always go to the Crab Shack." Finn looks at his dashboard. "Mr. And Mrs. Lancrome has never served food their family hasn't cooked." Kylie smiles. "Really? That's crazy. Hasn't that place been there for years?" Finn nods. "Yes, it has. Twenty-two years to be exact. They opened it a few years after they had their first child. Henry Lancome and I went to primary school together. His parents were always packing his lunch with fresh homemade food. They always brought the best-baked goods to the Fundraisers. Their booth was the only booth to sell out every year since he went off to Uni." Kylie gasps. "Wow! That's amazing. Does Henry still live around here?"

    Finn nods. "He is the lead chef at the Crab Shack. The one who insists on serving everyone fresh salads every day. Some of the other chefs demand to reuse the leftover lettuce from the day before. But he either gives that to the homeless or to the stray animals that gather around back." Kylie smiles. "That's really sweet." Finn nods. "That's why he's the lead chef. And why he won 5 employee of the month awards at his other job. He also gave the leftover food to the animals and homeless at the Hotel he caters at. That's his part-time job when he's not taking classes at the University."

  Kylie's jaw drops. "That's crazy. He sounds like he stays busy." Finn nods. "He does." They stay silent for a second and Kylie realizes that her dad may be home soon. She looks over to her house and scans to see if she notices any dry spots near the front of the garage. Since it rained, there would be a dry spot for Brianna's car if they ever came home at all today. Finn looks over to where Kylie is looking and lightly touches her hand. "Is everything okay?" 

Kylie quickly turns around and her face is nearly touching Finn's. She shyly smiles at him as she looks down at his hand on hers. "Yes." She says quietly. Finn tucks a piece of her hair behind her ear. "I'm glad because I didn't want anyone to spoil this moment." Kylie shyly looks down at the cupholder. "I know." Finn gently lifts her chin up with his index finger. "Kye. You never have to feel uncomfortable or shy around me anymore. You can trust me. I won't hurt you nor will I pressure you to do anything." Finn assures her, once he recognizes the nervous look on her face. Kylie smiles at him and nods her head. "I know. It's just hard to let someone in and hard to let my barriers down. I already let so much down already since I met you and it's had me so messed up and anxious that I don't know what to do with myself." Kylie vents to Finn.

 She's kept all that in for a while and it felt nice to let him know. She's written it into her journal but has never told anyone before. Besides Lexie. She tells Lexie basically everything. But all the crazy emotions and hormones she's been dealing with, she hasn't been able to find a way to tell her. How can she tell Lexie that she's a Mermaid without her sounding insane?