Chapter 10: Questions! Part 1

(First Uploaded: 2014  Dates updated: January or February 2018; October; Jan. 13, 2020)

After trying to pull herself out of the water several times, Kylie finally gets herself out. She makes it out of the cave pool painfully scraping her stomach against the edge of the rocks. She gets her torso out of the water and miraculously gets her heavy tail out also.

Lying next to the edge of the pool of water, she's left staring at her aquamarine tail. And she looks at her chest and notices there are scales covering her breasts. "No wonder why it hurt so much getting out." She says. She is startled by the echo in the cave.

She couldn't have gotten the cliché mermaid shell bra. That would have been much better protection. She looks around wondering how on earth she's going to dry off.  She also wonders if it's a one-time thing. She struggles to reach for her towel a few feet away. She pats it all over her and rings the water out of her hair. She tosses the soaked towel to the side. Throwing her hands up frustrated she sighs. "Why is this happening? I can't have another secret." She mumbles sobbing. She wipes her tears away trying to think of how she's going to dry off. The only other clothes are far away from her and she already used her only towel. She can't even remember what extra clothes she packed.

A few minutes of freaking out, Kylie pulls herself to her backpack; a few feet away from her. Struggling and collapsing a few times, she makes it and pulls out her extra pair of clothes.

She dries off and waits. Nothing. "Come on. It's gonna get dark soon." She looks at her towel arms reach away. She fights to pull herself and her backpack to her towel. If, and when she dries, she can't chance to put wet clothes in her backpack and grow a tail again. So, she might as well pack it all now while she's still wet. She sits there for what seems like an hour when she finally dries off. Except she looks down at herself and her clothes aren't on. "No flippin way!" She screams. And there's a loud echo in the cave.

She rolls her eyes staring at the bluish-green scales that are covering just enough of her lady parts that mimic a skimpy bikini. She touches the scales, rough and dry like her skin. "This is weird." She whispers. She stands up wiping the sand off her body, looking around the cave. She spots something in the water floating. She goes closer. "What! How in the world?!" The cave echo's once again and she ignores it. She shrugs and walks to her backpack. "I guess if anyone asks, the clothes got ruined and I forget them behind."

She walks to her backpack and rummages through her side pockets of the backpack being sure she doesn't touch the wet towel in the separate compartment. She pulls out a bathing suit. In triumph, she yells. "Yes!" She cringes.   "Crap. I wish it covered more. Why'd I get this?" She looks down at the yellow 2-piece bikini in her hand. She sometimes wears 2 pieces, but they usually aren't low cut bottoms and usually not pushup tops. She rolls her eyes. It's the only thing she has. And it's going to get dark soon, so she doesn't have another option.

If she always grows a tail when she comes in contact with water, then that would stop her surfing lessons with Finn. She was enjoying learning how to surf. Especially him as a teacher. By now she hardly feels guilty anymore thinking about Finn.

Jacob hasn't returned her calls or texts at all today. A total of 10 calls and texts she sent him. She's just mad now. She even called Darla and asked her if he was busy. Darla said he hasn't been busy, and his parents worked out their issues. She has no clue why he's not responding. Darla assured her he would call her back and she'd force him to answer her back. Kylie was happy Darla said that, but it didn't cool the anger and anxiousness in her stomach. She still senses he's hiding something because he keeps ignoring her. He hasn't responded to her for about a week or possibly two weeks.

She's not sure exactly how long, the time has gone by fast since she moved to Australia. It seems like the moment she moved to this country, she gained questions about her relationships and her new home. She has so many things already on her mind and being a mermaid may be another issue she has to deal with.