CHAPTER 44: Int. Mermaid Day! Part 6

ORIGINALLY PUBLISHED: Monday, July 10,2023

"So you finally gave her the court papers?" Jakobe walks past Brian and nods. Finn turns around and envelops him in a strong hug. Jakobe stumbles backward and looks at him with wide eyes. His sharp jaw twitches. "That was unexpected." Jakobe stares at Finn confused.

Finn sighs relieved. "I thought Gretchen was hitting on you like she was with Matt." Finn says looking at Matt. Jakobe shakes his head. "Oh she was." Jakobe says startled. "But Mr. Couture interupted her advances. And that's why a ran back here." Jakobe explains. He looks at Kylie. "Gretchen may have told your dad that you punched her, unprovoked." Jakobe strokes his dark hair nervously. Kylie gasps. Finn walks toward her and bends down and looks into her eyes. "Don't worry. We will cover for you." Finn says looking around. The group nod agreeing. "Definetly." Lonnie says. Finn looks at the few hundred Black Scales on Kylie's lower half and on her arm. "Why are you still on Mermaid form and why are they Black?" Finn says worried. Matt looks at his sister. "We think she has a curse put on her." Lonnie looks at her brother, then to Kaylee. Kaylee nods as she looks at Finn. Finn sighs as he touches Kylie's wet hair. Kylie smiles and strains to lean forward while Finn gently grabs her neck and kisses her slowly.

Just seconds later; Finn nearly drops on Kylie. He catches himself with his hands and is hovering over top of Kylie, staring into her eyes, no longer feeling dry. "No freaking way!" Kaylee exclaims." Kylie hears her sister; but she can't take her eyes off of Finn's suddenly bare chest. Her eyes look down to his lower torso and she gasps. "Seriously!" Kylie says happily." Finn tries to stand up, but sometthing is obstrucing his legs and he falls on top of Kylie, smooshing Kylie on the ground. Kylie winces in pain. Finn quickly rolls over. "What in sane hill?" Finn uses Kylie's catchphrase she got from Hannah Montana. Matt and Lonnie look and eachother and smirk. While Brian and Evie chuckle. "Well Happy International Mermaid Day to you Finn." Matt says as he motions toward Finn's newly aquired Purple tail. Finn stares down at his new tail and flips it a few times. "I reckon." Finn chuckles. "It's ironic that it's happening on this day." Finn laughs and looks around to see everyone staring at him in disbelief. Including Brian and Evie; totally abandoning their post.

"Why did you come back here Jakobe?" A man's voice is heard from a short distance. Kylie looks at Jakobe confused. "Oh crap. He must have followed me." Kylie's eyes widen. "No." She says as a lump forms in her throat. Finn looks at her, his face going pale.

"Is Kylie back there with you? I need to talk to her right now." Kylie's dad's voice gets louder with anger and closing the distance between the group and him. "Is that your dad?" Kaylee looks at Kylie. Kylie looks over to her half-sister and nods. Kaylee swallows hard. "Oh no." She says.