Chapter 35: First Date! Part 3

FIRST UPLOADED: JANUARY 24, 2021 UPDATED: AUGUST 2, 2021 11:40 AM  

"Wow!" That is all that Finn can say as Kylie reaches him. He takes in her beautiful blond hair that is in loose curls to her eyes that are outlined with moss green eyeliner and he notices she had to have spent a decent amount of time on her makeup because he's never seen her wear eyeshadow before. "I don't think I've ever seen you with makeup on or with your hair done." 

Kylie shyly smiles. "You haven't. I don't really feel comfortable doing my makeup regularly. And I feel like I'm making a big deal if I do my hair. And I don't like to bring attention to me." Kylie explains. 

Finn smiles. "Well, you didn't succeed with me. You certainly caught my attention." Kylie shyly smiles at him barely looking at him. "And you've come to school several times with different kinds of braided hairstyles before." He playfully nudges her. Kylie shrugs. "Yeah. But, I do that when my hair isn't that clean or when it's being stubborn. Sometimes the weather causes it to be frizzy or really dull. So I braid it in an attempt to make it look a little better." Kylie nervously rambles. Finn smiles at her and takes her hand. "Either way. I think you look cute no matter what. And you also look cute when you don't have this makeup on." Kylie giggles. "Thank you." 

Finn feels his face heat up. "You are welcome." He takes a deep breath and smiles at her again. "And I told you that you don't have to feel self-conscious about your scar." He says trying to chose his words carefully as he looks at her dark blue leopard print skater skirt that happens to be about mid-thigh. Then he takes in her embroidered white shirt with lace trim on the sleeves. "That shirt looks familiar." He says quietly. Kylie nods. "Evie made it. It used to be hers. She never wore it because it wasn't her style." Kylie says. Finn nods. "Okay. I think I remember seeing her sketch it in art class last year." 

Kylie nods. "Probably. She said she made it a while ago and it hasn't been worn by anyone." She shrugs. Finn nods. He gestures toward the door. "Shall we go now?" He says. Kylie smiles and nods. Then he quickly stumbles and opens the door for her. Kylie is shocked by his behavior. Jacob never did that for her before. She thanks him as he walks outside with her. "That's what a proper gentleman should do on a date." He smiles at her. "That's what my dad always says." She smiles. "But I've never had anyone do that for me." She says sadly. Finn takes her hand as they walk to his car. "Well, Jacob didn't deserve you." He blurts out. Kylie flinches, almost forgetting that he already knows everything about her past. 

Finn shakes his head as they stop in front of his black truck. "I'm sorry. I shouldn't have said that. It was rude and irrational." Kylie nods. "Thank you for the apology. But I don't regret breaking up with him. It was, and IS for the best." She looks up from her black sequined wedged converse. "The more time has passed, the more I realize I am better off without him. And the more I realize my feelings for you." She finally admits to Finn. Finn sighs relieved. "I'm happy to hear that. You have no idea how happy." He says, his voice cracking. He smiles at her and pats the hood of his truck. "I guess old Delilah here should take us to our destination." 

Kylie chuckles. "You named your truck." She smiles. "Awwww, that's so sweet." She says sarcastically. Finn smirks at her. "She's gotten me through some rough times. Don't make fun of me." He defends himself. Kylie laughs. "My dad names his too. He named her Lyla." Finn smirks. "Interesting." Kylie smirks. "I guess." She smiles at Finn. "So where are we going?" She asks Finn. Finn looks at her mischievously. "I'm not telling you. You have to wait until we get there. And technically we are going to two different locations." He teases her. 

Kylie purses her lips grinning. "Okay. I guess we should be going then." She says as she heads to the left side of the truck. Finn looks at her curiously. "You want to drive?" Kylie stops and looks at Finn. "Huh? No. I'm going to the passenger side." She says. Finn nods remembering she probably doesn't have certain things down-pat in Australia yet. She opens the door. Finn chuckles, still standing in front of his truck watching Kylie open the door.

 "Oh. I forgot." She laughs nervously, seeing the steering wheel instead of a glove compartment. She closes the door and walks over to Finn. "I keep forgetting about that." She says embarrassed. Finn smiles at her, adoring her when she gets flustered. "It's okay. People who aren't used to driving on the opposite side of the road often forget about the whole steering wheel thing too." Kylie chuckles and looks up at him. "I reckon." Finn smirks. Kylie looks at him confused. "What?" She shrugs. Finn chuckles. "You may not remember what side the steering wheel is on, but it seems like you may be picking up on our slang." Kylie smirks. Then she suddenly gasps. "That's not a good thing. I don't understand half the slang words you use. And I don't want to end up pronouncing only half the words. They don't sound correct when you do that." Kylie rants.

 Finn holds up his hands to protest. "I don't know what you're talking about. Americans have odd slang terms too. And you guys also tend to leave off some letters of your words. And why do you call mobile phones, cell phones?" Kylie shakes her head. She stares at him mischievously. "I guess Australia AND America both have their unique quirks." She says admittedly. Finn looks at her shocked. "I didn't think you'd give up that quickly." "Well I would like to start our date before my dad texts me about showing Matt and Lonnie around." She admits. "I don't know what to tell him if he somehow found out that Lonnie wasn't with me and Matt was at the Crab Shack alone. Because I'm supposed to be studying with them both right now." Finn looks at Kylie surprised. "You lied to your dad? And you told him you were studying?" Kylie nods and takes a deep breath. "Yes. I did and I don't feel that great about it, but there is no way he'd let me go out with you. For some reason, he is still stuck on his his first impression of you. He still thinks that you were hitting on me the first time we met you. He doesn't think you were inviting me and Nick to Moanie." 

Finn sighs. "I was inviting you both. I promise you I was. I wasn't hitting on you at all, even if it seemed like I was. I wasn't, sometimes I come off that way, but I don't mean to. I feel too much pressure around people, so sometimes I unknowingly revert to my old flirting ways around girls. But I wasn't doing that at all that day. I was genuinely interested in being friends with your brother. He seemed sweet, kind, and I sensed he wouldn't judge me like everyone else." Kylie smiles at him, she fights some tears. "I know. I believe everything. I'm around you enough to notice that there is more to you than what people ever can believe. And I know that my dad will eventually will come around to you. I'll try harder. Maybe at some point, you can come over for dinner." Finn sighs relieved. "I'm so lucky that I have you, Kye. And as much as I'd like to come over for dinner. I'm not sure that'd be the best way to try to warm up to your dad." 

Kylie takes a step closer to him and looks into his blue eyes. "You can come as a friend of mine and Nick's. And if Nick and I have you over Kaylee probably will want to bring over Brian and that means Jakobe will come also. And since Evie is my twin, she'll have to be there." Kylie smiles mischievously.

 Finn nudges her and smirks. She looks at him and also smirks, having a great solution to the possible disaster she created in her mind. "Great idea turning a few friends over into a barbie." Kylie's smile fades. She stares at him confused. "I got rid of my Barbie's a long time ago." She says sarcastically. 

Finn chuckles. Kylie laughs. "I know what you meant. Yes. We can ask if we can have a cookout or Barbecue." Finn smirks. "See. You may not have said it. But you understood what I was talking about." Kylie nods. "You may be right." She says cleverly avoiding saying any Australian slang. "But I didn't catch it at first." She says pointedly.