Chapter 26: Talking Helps! Part 1

First Uploaded: March 2014 Dates updated: January or February 2018; November 1, 2019; October 11, 2020, 12:11 PM)

                   "So you guys are what?" Finn looks down at his black beat-up hand me down Doc Martins. He taps his foot against the side of the park bench. Kylie looks off into the distance at Nicholas and Brian playing Basketball. "She's my Heteropaternal Superfecundation twin." Kylie answers lowly. Finn looks at her blank face. "I know. But I still don't understand." Kylie lets out a small huff as she looks back up at Finn. "It's a rare case when..." Finn puts his hand up and interrupts her. "I know. I understand the Biology part of it, but I don't get why Brianna and your dad would keep it from you." Kylie shrugs. She looks away from Finn and back to Nicholas. "That means he's not my brother." She suddenly realizes, her heartbreaking. Finn takes her hand and notices a tear roll down her cheek. "He still is. Just half." He tries to calm her. Kylie shakes her had. "He doesn't even know." She ignores Finn's voice. Finn nods. "I know. Are you going to tell him?" He looks toward Kylie's gaze.

"I don't know. I want to. But I think I'll have a panic attack if I do. And I think Brianna and our dad should tell him, I mean, they kept it from me. It's their responsibility." Kylie complains. Finn nods agreeing. "I reckon."

                          "Hey sis. Brian was wondering if we wanted to go to Moanie after this game of Basketball with Finn AND you." Nicholas runs up to his sister and causes her to jump. Finn whips his head up startled. "OH." Kylie mutters. Finn's brows rise confused at her reaction of her brother saying she's going to play basketball with them.

                    Nicholas tilts his head worried. "Sis. Did you hear me?" He looks at Kylie's blank face. Finn nudges her. She shakes her head and looks up at her brother. "Oh. Hi." Nicholas smiles concerned. "Do you think dad will let us go to Moanie after we play Basketball?" Kylie shrugs. "Maybe. If Brian comes. Since he knows the Island." Kylie starts texting her dad as Finn stands up. She stops mid text. "Don't worry you can come too. I just won't tell my dad you're coming." Nicholas shoots his sister an unapproved look and she tries to ignore it. She watches Nick run back to the basketball court and looks back up at Finn. "Oh you're playing too?" She says to Finn tensely. Finn bumps her elbow and looks her in her eye. "I never said I didn't want to." He pulls her up and stumbles and falls into his arms and he wraps both of them around her. Finn looks down into her eyes and presses his lips against hers. "What are you going to do if Brianna and your dad don't tell Nicholas everything?" Kylie sighs heavily, her eyes widen as she sees Nick behind Finn. "Tell me what?" Nick looks at his sister concerned. Finn turns around and clears his throat. He nervously looks at Nick. Kylie stares down at her purple converse. "Nothing important." She says, her voice cracking. Nick looks at his sister. "Sis. I know it's important when you can't look me in the eye sis." Kylie sniffles and looks at her brother staring at her. Finn chuckles. "He is right." Kylie looks at Finn looking at her. "I know he is." Kylie admits. She and Finn look at Nicholas. "I think Brianna and Dad has something they should tell you bub. Something that will change us." Finn looks at Kylie and sees a tear run down her cheek. "So you have something to tell me too?" Nick asks Kylie as Finn gently brushes the tear off her face. Finn notices Kylie's shoulders tense up. "It's the same as what she wants to tell you, but your dad and Brianna should tell you instead." He intercepts. Kylie nods agreeing. She looks up from her converse to her brothers stricken face. "Finn is right. And so are you bub. As usual. It is important." Nicholas' shoulders slump. "I knew it. Are we moving again?" Kylie twitches. Finn looks her and grabs her hand and clenches his jaw to keep from crying. "No Kylie. You can't. I just got you." He says trying to hold back a sob. 

                               Kylie looks at Finn and her heart drops. His eyes are red and his mouth is quivering. She's never seen him like this before. They've only been together for a few weeks, but she feels like she knows him more than she knew Jacob by this point. All the gossip at school about Finn certainly never portrayed him like this. Everyone talked about him like he never had any kind of emotions. She knew deep down he was more than the bruiting hot-headed playboy who started fights.

Kylie's anxiety starts to take control worrying if her dad was being relocated on top of Brianna being her birth mother and her nemesis as her half sister and soon to be step-sister. Oh and not to mention that Evie is her Heteropaternal Superfecundation twin. Which she still is confused about. She can't take any more change in her life. Her mermaid emotions, hormones and new powers are out of control and very confusing. And the weird interest the new kid Matt has in her had her baffled and his tension with Finn is worrying her. But she's been trying to block Matt out completely.

But back to her dad and his behavior. She has noticed that he has been acting strange lately. But she couldn't pin point what it was that was making him so jumpy and closed off. He normally tells her and Nicholas most everything that happens in his day. That's what their family did. They didn't keep secrets. Minus Kylie's current Mermaid dilemma.