Chapter 2: Welcome! Part 1

Originally Published: 2013-2014; Updated July 2017; November 2019; September 3, 2021; September 25, 2021, 10:27 am; August 8, 2023; August 25, 2023.

      After days of unpacking and getting used to the climate and time change, Kevin finishes taking his kids to check out their new school and are on their way to a local eatery.

      During their 1st week, the Couture's haven't done much since they arrived in Australia because they haven't sold their house in WV yet. Also, Kevin's 2 boats are still in WV. Due to the school year starting in mid to late January in Australia; it was a quick move.

       Nicholas and Kylie's schools were still on Christmas break in West Virginia. So they left just days after Christmas and rang in the New Year in Florida with Kylie and Nicholas' grandparents. Kevin was shocked that Karon's parents offered to house them before they headed to Australia because they never approved of him while he and Karon were married.

      After thoughtless and confused driving on the opposite side of the car and road, Kevin and his kids get to the famous Crab Shack. 

      Kevin, Kylie, and Nicholas are surprised by the friendly and comfortable feeling in there. It feels like they stepped into a 50s-themed diner. Similar to the one they used to visit Jacob's cousin Darla in college. The Poky Dot served giant Ice Cream Sundaes and wasn't this spacious. The Crab Shack seemed to serve a surplus amount of seafood and was big enough to have a stage feet away from the entrance. 

      Kylie looks at the stage, that's placed to the left of the entrance door. She wishes she could get up there and sing. It's been a few months since she performed due to the chaotic move, she desperately misses it. 

      The authentic cuisine wafts in the air and her stomach begins to rumble. The tall curvy blue-haired waitress places a platter of food on a table. Kylie looks next to her. Her stomach grumbles more. Her dad and brother look at her. "What." She shrugs. "The last time I ate was hours ago on the tour of our school." 

      Nicholas stands almost attached to his older sister as he nods agreeing. "Are you still texting that girl Evie who took us on a tour of our school?" Kylie's inquisitive brother looks at her phone. She looks up from her phone and nods. "She's been telling me more information about the school and the town. It's interesting. The town has weird stuff going on." She yawns and continues to text. 

      Kevin looks at the platter of food, the steam wafting in the air triggers his hunger. "I'm a little hungry myself." His stomach grumbles. He looks around making sure no one heard it.

      A tall lean and muscular guy walks up to them. "You guys look like you need a menu." "Here. I'm done with mine." The light-haired male hands Kevin a menu. Kevin takes it smiling generously. "Thanks, young man." He leans in asking him. "So what's good here? We just moved here. And we don't know what's good and what's not so great." He says as he shakes his head in disgust, trying to use his humor to gain some insight about the culture. 

      "The prawns are delicious." The light-haired male points to the pile of shrimp the blue-haired waitress delivered moments ago, which is now half gone by the family. "That's to die for. They catch it fresh almost every day on an island just an hour from here. They cook it in a few different ways. Or you can choose to eat it like cocktail shrimp. Which is what Americans call it. It's quite tasty." 

      Kevin tilts his head. "What gave us away?" He asks curiously. The attractive young man points to something poking out of Kevin's pocket. "Your Passport is a big giveaway. And you say shrimp instead of prawns." He says.

       Kevin looks down at his pocket. "Oh shoot! I forgot to put that in the safe at home. We just got back from touring their new school at Seaside Sydney United." He points at Kylie and Nicholas hoping his kids will speak up. But Kylie seems to be distracted by her phone. She's still texting away on her phone.