Chapter 6: The Prmonition Dinner! Part 1

Originally Published: 2013-2014. Updated July 2017; November 2019; July 3, 2020; September 25, 2021; August 7, 2023; August 26, 2023. 

      Evie arrives at the Couture's front steps. Holding the container of Cookies with one hand, she raises her other hand to knock. "Well hello there Evie. I saw you walking up to the house." Kevin greats her pleasantly.

     Evie lowers her hand and returns a smile to him. "Hi. It's nice to see you again." She says, trying to hold back the urge to turn around and run back to her apartment. Talking with Finn helped, but it is still awkward standing in front of him not knowing exactly who he is.

      Evie notices his mouth slightly twitch. "Come right in. We are almost ready to eat." He motions for her to come in. Evie nods and walks past him. When Evie steps in, she sees Kylie talking to a woman near their island in the middle of the Kitchen. 

      The woman's back is facing her. All Evie can notice is that the woman has curly kinky black hair just like hers. She always got teased as a kid for her hair. And her skin color. People would say she wasn't white nor was she black. The only place she feels like she is 100% welcomed is in Drama or Band. For some reason, most of the Aboriginals are in Band, Drama, or a few of the less popular Sports.

       "Evie!" Kylie's voice echoes through the Kitchen. Evie walks toward Kylie and the unknown woman. Kylie walks around the island, to Evie and gives Evie a friendly hug. When they separate, Kylie smiles. "Happy week early birthday." Kylie chirps.

      The woman turns around and smiles. "It's your birthday too?" She asks while Kevin gasps. Kylie looks over to her father, standing in front of the stove staring at Evie wide-eyed. Evie forces a smile toward Kevin and nods at the woman. "It is." Kylie smiles at her soon-to-be step-mom.

      "Yup. We have the same EXACT birthday. Can you believe it, Brianna?" Kylie says excitedly, looking at her soon-to-be step-mom. Brianna looks at Kevin nervously.

      Suddenly Brianna's stomach does flips. "That is crazy." Evie looks at Brianna, suddenly recognizing her. "Are you a teacher?" She blurts out. Brianna jolts back. "What?" 

       "Sorry." Evie laughs nervously. "You look like a substitute I had for Marine Biology for about a week." She shrugs. "Sorry for the mistake." She apologizes.

       Brianna smiles at her. "It's okay. And you aren't mistaken. I was once a substitute for Sydney Seaside before. But I was in a bind and I needed the extra cash." She looks at Kaylee standing behind Evie. Evie looks behind her and nods. Kaylee scoffs and walks past Evie, her mother, and Kylie. She ventures into the living room and turns the television on.

       Brianna sighs as she looks at Kaylee sitting on the couch. "But I no longer need the extra cash." She smiles at Kevin. Kevin smiles back at her sweetly. "Kaylee thinks she NEEDS a lot of things." Kylie air quotes 'needs'. 

      Evie chuckles and stops when she sees Brianna frowning at Kylie. Kylie looks at Brianna and sighs. "Sorry." Brianna nods. "It's okay."

       Brianna looked at Evie for a few seconds, wanting to ask her about her foster parents, but she'd have to explain how she knew about that. She could just say that Kylie talks to her about things, but then she'd have the urge to ask more questions. Brianna sighs frustrated. "I believe you were the kind student who treated me kindly on my first day subbing." Brianna finally finds a way to strike up a conversation with Evie again. 

      Evie nods. "I was. It was terrible how they were staring at you. Who doesn't need help on their first day." Evie smiles.

       "Thank you. You were possibly the only kind student in that class." Evie shrugs. "Finn Chrisholm and Brian Dunkwen helped you too." She smiles. Evie wasn't sure what she was trying to accomplish by bringing them up, but it couldn't hurt if she knew that Evie wasn't the only kind student. And maybe it would get Finn on Kevin's good side when he hears that he helped his fiance.

       Brianna nods, smiling. "That's right. They did. They were nice gentlemen." Evie nods. Kylie smiles at the thought of Finn being a gentleman. "Certainly better than the rest of the class." Evie chuckles at her remark. "Absolutely." She smiles at Brianna.

      Brianna's heart falls to her feet as she sees her smile. Her smile reminds her so much of her estranged sister. How could she have made such a huge mistake in her life? Maybe she and Kevin can make amends with their families.

    "Is everything okay honey?" Kevin asks worriedly as he uncovers the pot of food. Brianna looks at him and smiles. "Yes. I was caught up in my thoughts." She shakes her head, hoping to push them back. "Nothing important." She lies. 

      Kevin turns the stove off and leans against the island and smiles at her. "If it was, you'd forget about it because I think this is my best Gumbo yet." He exclaims.

      Kylie smirks at her father and chuckles. "You always say that dad," Kevin smirks right back at her. "I do." "But this time I think I mean it."

      "Are you sure daddy?" A small voice comes from the bottom of the stairs. Everyone looks at Nicholas standing on the last step smirking at his father.

       Kevin shakes his head. "I'm sure son." Evie smiles at their closeness. "Well if it's not your best Gumbo, I'll love it. I'm obsessed with anything Seafood." She smiles. Kylie, Nick, and Brianna look at Evie and nod. "That's just one other thing you and Kylie have in common." Brianna smiles tightly.

     Kevin grins at his daughter and looks to Evie, taking in her features. The features are identical to his daughter's. "Yeah. That's odd." His eyebrows crease together. Brianna looks from Evie to Kevin; her chest tightening. Kevin even adds inquisitively, "Yeah. It's a little peculiar." Kylie scowls at her dad embarrassed.