CHAPTER 37: Kaylee! Part 3

FIRST UPLOADED: AUGUST 2, 2021 12: 11 PM   

She walks through the living room and into the kitchen. She stops in front of the crystal blue glass and sighs, the doorbell rings again and she carefully steps over the shards of glass. When she gets to the door Kaylee is stepping down off the last step of the stairs. They look at each other with wide eyes and Kaylee's smile fades.

 Staying silent, Kaylee steps past her mother and opens the door with a big smile. "I'm so glad you are here," Kaylee exclaims. 

Brianna turns around and looks at her daughter confused, seeing Kevin standing outside. "It's nice to see you too Kaylee. We've missed having you guys over." Kevin smiles at Kaylee. But Kaylee's smile turns into a frown, then suddenly it turns into a scowl. "I didn't think it was going to be you." She says somberly. Then Kaylee turns around and bumps into her mom and runs back upstairs sniffling. Kevin and Brianna watch Kaylee run up the steps. Brianna swears she hears her crying. But she shrugs it off.

Kevin looks at Brianna's stressed face and Brianna motions for him to come in. He walks in and Brianna shuts the door behind him. Kevin doesn't waste any time and embraces Brianna. He holds her and rubs her back soothing her. When they separate, Kevin, tilts his head and looks at Brianna sympathetically. "You sounded really worried on the phone. What's wrong with Kaylee? Are you okay?" He asks, looking at Brianna worriedly.

Brianna walks into the kitchen, stepping over the glass. She grumbles as she looks at the pile. Kevin cautiously steps over it following her. Brianna leans against the island. She nods toward the shards of glass. "Sorry for the glass. I haven't gotten around to cleaning it up yet." Kevin looks at her worried. "What happened?" Kevin asks. Brianna points upstairs. "Kaylee threw it when I told her we were selling this house and moving in with you." 

Kevin looks up at the ceiling and sighs. "I'm sorry she didn't take it well. My kids didn't take it that well either. But they seemed to understand. Nicholas is excited he gets to have a mom again." Kevin smiles. Brianna looks up from the cup she keeps tapping. "And how does Kylie feel?" Brianna says nervously, her small smile slowly fading. Kevin looks into her eyes. "She acted a little anxious at first. But then when she came back from drama practice, she said she was extremely happy to have you live with us. She also said she couldn't wait to get to know you." He smiles at her. Brianna's smile returns as she pushes her cup to the side and she walks into the living room. Kevin follows her and sits next to her on the sofa. He looks around the living room, forgetting how identical the layout of their houses is and how her furniture matches his setup of his.

Brianna turns her body to face Kevin. "I wish Kaylee would be happy about it. Or at least be okay with it." Kevin looks at her and smiles. "Honey." He clears his throat. He shifts closer to her and takes her hand. "Given the news from the doctors, she likely won't take anything well. She's going through a rough time."

 Brianna sighs and explains to Kevin how Kaylee's been acting. "Ever since she found out she has Leukemia, Kaylee has been slamming doors, having sudden outbursts, keeping to herself when she's around people." Brianna sighs exhausted. "And even throwing things." She says pointing at the glass in the kitchen, wiping her eyes. 

Kevin starts to say something, but Brianna continues rambling. "She's even been getting upset when the smallest things go wrong. It's like she can't stand it when things don't go as planned. I've tried to give her attention and ask her how she's been feeling. But she pushes me away. And when I give her space, when I thought she'd come around eventually, she still ignores me. She's still staying in her room." Brianna takes a moment to catch her breath and continues. "She hasn't even been coming down for Breakfast anymore. She ignores me when she walks down in the morning to the bus and texts me on the bus that she eats breakfast at school."

Brianna looks at Kevin worried. "But I don't think she's been eating. It looks like she's been losing weight. Her clothes seem to be hanging on her and one night I saw her without makeup and she looked sickly. She pushed me out of the bathroom. The next morning I said something about it and she said she was just really tired and felt like she ate something bad. I don't know want to do Kev. I'm so scared and worried." Brianna sighs defeated. Her eyes widen, suddenly realizing the truth. She wipes her head up and looks up at Kevin. "Oh my gosh. I don't think any of her outbursts have anything to do with us or Kylie. It has everything to do with her diagnosis." She says. "I can't believe I keep telling her to be nice to you guys. She has. Her diagnosis has her totally out of character." She says shaking her head. "I feel so stupid now for not realizing it sooner." She says smacking her head.

Kevin reaches his hand over and places it on top of Brianna's. "I believe you are right honey. And I'm so sorry you've been dealing with this on your own. That's possibly why you haven't noticed it sooner. You know you could have called me before now. I would have come as soon as I could. She's my daughter too." Kevin says sympathetically. 

Brianna looks at him as tears well in her eyes. She can't believe that he has taken Kaylee in as his own and she's not him at all. Brianna shakes her head. "I know. I didn't want to upset Kaylee more and I know that Kylie hasn't been acting like herself either. So I didn't want you to have two teenage girls to worry about." Brianna says, her voice hoarse. "And I didn't want to burden you with this." She says breathlessly. Kevin sighs. "She's not a burden honey. She's your daughter who's going through something a child shouldn't have to go through. And she may not be mine by blood, but she's still mine. I love her just as much as Kylie, Nicholas, and Evie. And Kylie and Kaylee both are going through something and we both need to be there for them." 

Brianna tries to hold her tears back as she smiles at Kevin. "That makes me feel so happy to hear you say that." Kevin smiles back at her. He squeezes her hand. "I meant everything I said." He takes a deep breath. "I love all of our kids. Even if they aren't both of ours, they are still ours to love."