Chapter 13: Truth! Part 1

(First Uploaded: March 2014  Dates updated: January or February 2018; October 30 2019; Jan. 18, 2020)
  After school Kylie, Nicholas, and Kaylee are at the Crab Shack waiting for Jakobe and Brian to arrive. "I wish they would just get here already. This is torture sitting with you two." Kaylee says smugly flicking a crumb across the table toward Kylie and Nicholas. Nicholas ignores her comment and asks Kylie how school went. Hoping to get some answers as to what happened during the second lunch. Not hearing Nicholas' question, Kylie watches as Kaylee types on her phone vigorously. "Are you writing a novel over there." Kylie jokes. Almost every time Kaylee isn't around Brian, she's glued to her phone. Sometimes when he's around, she's still clung to it expecting something life-changing to happen. "NO! For your information, Brian and Jakobe are stuck at their grandmas helping her unpack. So, they can't make it. And my MUM just canceled our weekly dinner at the best restaurant in town for a date with some guy named Kevin!" Nicholas and Kylie look at each other curiously. "Sorry. That sucks. Do you know where he's from?" Kylie asks wondering if the guy could possibly be her dad. He did recently tell her he was dating. She honestly didn't take it seriously. Later Nicholas asked another question that Kylie didn't hear. But she did hear that the woman has a teenage daughter who goes to their school and is a few years younger than Kylie. Kaylee huffs. "He's some hick from the U.S. I think my mom's dating profile said he's from someplace called Virginia or was it, Maine. NO! It was West Virginia!" Kylie and Nicholas's jaws drop. Kaylee looks at them, her eyes widen in disgust. "He better not be YOUR dad!" Kaylee says hastily. Nicholas shakes his head refusing to believe it. "I'm sure it's someone else." Kylie chimes in. "Yeah. Kevin is a common name." "He better not be your dad. I really don't want weekly family dinners with you guys. My mum is serious about this guy. I Gotta Go! Bye!" Kaylee says rudely waving them off. She mumbles something, neither Kylie or Nicholas can hear as she picks up her backpack, flings it over her shoulder, and storms off. "Same drama queen I remember from day one." Kylie says. Nicholas laughs. Then he asks her. "Yup. So how did the rest of school go?" Kylie looks up from her phone grinning. "Sorry. I got a text from..." "Finn?" Nicholas finishes for her. She drops her phone back into her backpack. "Yeah. I know you don't like him, but he's not a bad person. Once you get to know him, he's sweet. And he likes a lot of stuff we like. He has family issues that made him how he is. He hasn't told me all of it yet. But from what I gathered it sounds like his mom had the same issues ours has. She died when he was 10. And his dad was..." Kylie looks around to make sure no one was close enough to hear her. She leans closer to Nicholas. "He told me that his dad was killed by mermaids." Nicholas sits next to his sister staring at her in disbelief. He doesn't know whether to laugh about the mermaid thing or get mad that she has gotten so close to Finn. She's with Jacob and he likes Jacob. He taught Nicholas to play Football, Soccer, Basketball, and even a bit of Skateboarding. They have lived next to each other their entire lives and Nicholas and Jacob bonded when Kylie was off at drama practice. It was Jacob and Kylie in the beginning, best friends, then when Nicholas was born; that changed. It was the 3 Musketeers. They were inseparable. Until Jacob and Kylie were 13 and started crushing on each other, and a year later at 14 they made it official. They still hung out, but it was never the same. Nicholas still has his sister, he adores her. But if Finn gets between Kylie and Jacob, what would that mean for poor Nicholas and Jacobs sacred friendship?

Kylie looks at Nicholas worried. His face a little pale and his face is blank. Fear starts to rise in her. He hasn't had a seizure for a while! She starts to pull his medicine out of his backpack when he catches her arm. "I'm Okay sis. I was just thinking." He says soothing her. She drops the bottle back into the bag and relaxes her shoulders. "You scared me!" "What were you thinking about? It looked intense." Kylie asks him concerned. His face was oddly pale to be thinking about something that's not too important she thinks to herself. He puts his head down wishing she hadn't asked him that. It would have been easier for him to respond to the insane mermaid thing first. "Umm. I heard you kissed Finn at school today. And do you think Jacob really is hiding something from you?" He says. That's the only thing that he can say at the moment. He can't say everything he's feeling about possibly losing Jacob as a friend. Kylie incoherently mutters. Nicholas looks up at her confused by her lack of words. She usually always knows what to say. Even if she can't tell the entire truth. She looks at him. "Yeah. We kissed for that fake play." Kylie starts to explain the situation but remember the video students took. Multiple students took videos of the scene they did on the stage in the cafeteria and posted it on Facebook, Twitter, and anywhere they could. She got on Facebook and showed her brother the video. It would be much easier to show him than to explain. She just wouldn't willingly show him the entire thing. She'd stop before Finn placed his hand on her back because that's when the video caught Jakobe in the best moment. He was super angry and it looked like he was ranting. Half the videos were focused on just Jakobe, criticizing him. And the other half was focused on Finn and Kylie's make-out session. Some people were saying she had 3 boyfriends. Finn, Jakobe, and some guy named Jacob from the States one person wrote. They must have stalked her Instagram. Great! The last thing she needed was Jacob to see this video. But in the beginning, she did say that it was a scene from a play she wrote. So maybe he wouldn't be mad. He'd seen her kiss guys before on stage for plays and he never held it against her. He wasn't happy she kissed other guys. But he used to act in Drama Club, so he used to be in the same situation.