Chapter 24: Loose Ends! Part 1

First Uploaded: March 2014 Dates updated: January or February 2018; November 1, 2019; June 7, 2020, 1:45 PM)

                   Just 3 short days after everyone's confessions; Kylie is sitting at home reading over her lines for the play. The entire 2 hours she's been working on her lines alone: she can't stop thinking about how everything ended on Moanie. She can't possibly be related to BOTH of them! Her dad couldn't have hidden a secret like this for this long. But she suddenly remembers what Evie said to her yesterday while they were at Evie's house next to the school.

Kylie remembers sitting on Evie's old brown leather couch watching The Vampire Diaries on Netflix. Afterward; Evie looks straight at Kylie and asks her if she has any Polynesian, Samoan, or Hawaiian in her. Kylie's eyes twitch confused. "I don't know. Why?" Evie shrugs. "Because there has to be a reason why we look so alike and have the exact same birthdays. And I'm pretty sure Kaylee is part of our secret family too." Evie huffs like she spit out a sour lemon. Kylie rolls her eyes. "She better not be." A sense of uneasiness rushes up on Kylie. She still can't forget how odd her dad acted the day they left for Australia. And the text he sent her? It all starts rushing back. "Wait are you saying my family isn't my real family?!" She exclaims. Evie scoots back startled. She puts her hands on Kylies to calm her down. Sensing she's upset. Anyone would be in this situation. "Not exactly. I'm just saying that families have secrets and sometimes those secrets are actual people." Kylie's mouth opens then closes. She shakes her head. "No way." Evie shrugs. "We both have the exact birthday and both have the same features and a lot of the same personality traits. And we are the same height and build. And both born in Florida." Evie grabs Kylies' hand again. "I'm guessing there's a lot of things our parents haven't told us Kye. And that's including Kaylee. I have this feeling that she's our sister too." Kylie shakes her head fast. "No! No! My parents couldn't have kept this from me this whole time. I don't care how much I believe you. I have to ask my dad. I don't believe he'd keep this from me." Evie shrugs. "It's okay. I understand. But I want to show you something first before you go. If that's alright."

Kylie shrugs and nods. "Sure." Evie stands up and grabs her laptop and turns it on and brings up tribal dances on YouTube. Evie pressed play and they watch about 3 or 4 videos. And Evie stares at Kylie in shock. And smiles. Kylie shrugs. "What?" Evie nods. "Are you sure you don't have any family from where I asked before? Or maybe New Zealand, Australia, Tonga, Tuvalu, or Chile?" Kylie shrugs. "I don't think so. I have family from France and Italy, and Brazil and Spain and I think some from London and the Dominica Republic. But I don't think I have any from any of those places." Evie shrugs curiously. " Are you sure? Because you seemed to know some of the words my family said in their Maori Haka and Siva Afi Dances. And you'd only know them if you were part New Zealand, Samoan, or Hawaiin."

"Umm now that you mentioned it, I remember when I was younger, my mom used to watch these videos of dances and people chanting and playing drums. She said it was her dad's heritage and she didn't know much about it because he died when she was young. I think she said it was the dance Siva Afi you mentioned. What heritage is that?" Kylies' friend answers. "It's Hawaiin. So your not Polynesian at all?" Kylie shakes her head. "Maybe Polynesian is another heritage my grandpa couldn't teach my mother about." Evie shrugs. "Maybe. Have you ever done a DNA test like Ancestry or something? That's how I found out my birth mother's name and my father's." Kylie shrugs. "No, I haven't." She never had the reason to. But after today and everything else in the past few days, she's not only doing an online test like Ancestry, she's asking her dad AND Brianna the truth. Because Brianna certainly has something to do with all this. Evie believes Brianna is her mother. And Kylie knows for sure Brianna is Kaylees' biological mom. Evie looks at Kylie sympathetically. "I think it's time you ask your father the truth. You need to know Kye."