Chapter 9: Newly Formed! Part 4

First Uploaded: 2013-2014  Dates updated: January or February 2018 October Jan. 13, 2020 

The gust of wind comes back with a vengeance and knocks her backpack out of her hand and pushes her slowly to the water. It lifts her up above the water.

Kylie tries to reach for anything, but there's nothing to grab ahold of.  She quickly thinks and takes her phone out of her pocket and throws it near her backpack. If she was going in, her phone wasn't going to get damaged. She watches her phone bounce off the top of the backpack and lands next to it.

Then she falls in. A loud smack echoes through the cave as her back hits the water. She sinks into the water and seconds later, she swims back up to the surface of the water and treads the water.

She looks down at her ugly brown shorts clinging to her legs. At least she chose to wear shorts and not a skirt. "Maybe dad will get me a new skirt now." She says looking at her ruined shorts. She laughs. "Of course he won't, he'll get me the same type of shorts. Even though I will hardly wear them." She looks around the empty cave. She silently questions why she's talking to herself.

Kylie glances toward the direction she saw the fish and turtle go, noticing a slight glow of light. She starts to swim near the light. But is jerked underwater. Her hands flail above her head as saltwater rushes into her nose and mouth.

Burning her lungs, the water draws her deeper down. She pops back up for a moment and kicks whatever tried to bring her down off her ankle. It releases for a second. But latches back on, and pulls her back under farther.

Heart racing, she kicks and screams underwater trying to remain her focus on the surface. Her hair gets in her face and she can no longer see anything.

Darkness, fear, and anxiety is all she can sense and feel. Her eyelids flutter and her legs and arms go limp. Her body floats to the surface, then she slowly floats to the bottom of the 6-foot-deep water.

She thinks of her dad, her friends, and everything she'll miss. Nicholas. No! She can't leave her brother. She somehow finds a tiny bit of strength to slowly make her way back up to the surface.

Wheezing and coughing up water, she blinks constantly. She looks at where she's at in the water. She's in the middle of the pool. She wasn't in the middle when she got pulled in. She was closer to the edge. Whatever pulled her under must have taken her into the middle as well.

Whatever it was, really wanted her dead. She starts wheezing again. She coughs and has trouble breathing. "Ouch!" She says placing one hand over her chest. "I... can't breathe." She struggles to say.

She starts to swim toward the edge, but her legs start to feel odd again, along with her entire body. It's a weird tingling sensation and she starts to feel dizzy. She can't even make it to the edge of the pool 2 feet away.

Treading water isn't working, her legs slow down and she starts to sink. She moves her hands around her to keep her head above water. But it's not working. The water gets brighter and she closes her eyes, then she is pulled underwater again. This time she holds her breath and tries to remain calm. But she can't breathe, so she freaks out and reaches for the surface.

Just a moment later, she pops back up and is floating on her back. She's staring at her legs. She's only seen this on tv. This can't be happening. She's hallucinating. She closes her eyes and opens them. Yeah, it's real.

"What in the world is going on?!" She yells as she stares at what should be her legs, but is magically replaced by an aquamarine tail.