Chapter 5: Evie! Part 1

Originally Published: 2013-2014. Updated July 2017; November 2019; July 3, 2020; September 25, 2021; August 7, 2023; August 26, 2023. 

      After being invited to the Couture's; Evie decides to make her special chocolate chip oatmeal cookies to bring over to their house. 

      She pulls out the ceramic flour container and sets it near the rest of the ingredients. She looks at the time on the stove and huffs. Only 3 o'clock. She still has 3 and a half hours until it's time for dinner at the Couture's house. Well, in reality, she'll have to leave before 5:30 if she wants to make it in time. The walk will take about 15 minutes.

      She rolls her eyes annoyed at how slow the day has been going. "I'll just make them a little later. No need for them to get cold already." She says to herself as she walks into her small living room. She plops down on her used suede couch and turns on her TV, immediately going to H20: Just Add Water. She sings along with the theme song on the TV, as she always does. She hears a knock at the door and her brows crease together curiously. Sighing, she turns the volume down and slowly walks toward the door.

       Her eyes widen in shock as she opens the door. "Ummm hello." She says confused. Staring at his dark brown eyes and his chiseled jaw, she leans up against her door. "Do you need my notes again?" Evie chuckles. The tall male shakes his head. Evie looks at the seriousness on his face and straightens up. "Okay. Then what do you need? I'm not in your Construction class Finn. Oceanography is the only other class we share."

       He sighs. "I know that." He says frustrated. Evie recoils back. "Sorry. I didn't mean to upset you." She leans closer to him. "Are you okay?"

       Finn shakes his head. "Not exactly." Evie slouches worried. "Is it Mr.Sanders? Is he threatening to kick you out again? Because we all can tell him that Jakobe instigated you in Gym last week. And he IS the one who pushed Kylie." She says taking up for him and her new friend. Finn sighs.

       "It's not that." He sighs relieved. "Thankfully." He looks up from his beaten-up Doc Martins. "It's Kylie." "I don't think I can be just her friend anymore." He says, his voice wavering. "I know it's wrong because of the age difference. But I have this weird pull towards her and I don't know how to handle it."

     Evie gasps. "Oh." She blinks quickly "I know you two are new friends. And her dad seems to like you." "So I don't think that'd be a good idea to ruin that."

      He rolls his eyes. "He doesn't like me." He sighs defeated. Evie looks at him sympathetically. He shakes his head at her expression. "Don't feel sorry for me. I rub people the wrong way." 

      Evie shrugs, still feeling sorry for him. He's a good person once you get to know him. Evie silently says to herself.

       "Well anyways. I don't think I can keep things from her anymore." He blurts out. Evie's eyes shoot open. "Oh!" She squeaks.

       He shakes his head. "She and I seem to be getting along pretty well and our surfing lessons and study sessions are going great!" Evie can tell that his eyes light up mentioning Kylie.

      She smiles. "So you want to tell her?" She says. Finn nods. "And I wanted to ask you if you could put in a good word for me tonight at dinner. To her and Kevin? And Nicholas? I think Nicholas' opinions of me have already changed. At first, he seemed like he wanted to be friends with me. But now, it seems the opposite."

       Evie sighs exhausted. She looks behind her at her TV and sees Rikki, Cleo, and Emma in the Moon Pool. "I can. But you also have to try. You are a great person Finn and they need to see that too." She says looking back at him. He smiles at her. "And you don't mind me telling Kylie?" He asks. Evie shrugs. "I don't mind."

    Finn takes Evie's hands and smiles at her. "I think you are the first real friend I've ever had. You know that right?" He says assuring her. Evie nods as she takes her hands out of his grip. "I know Finn. And same to you." She looks at him scornfully. "But don't forget Jakobe."

      Finn scowls. "How can I." He growls. "He's not a friend of mine anymore. Evie sighs saddened by their falling out. "I know. But it'd be nice if you two were friends again." She nudges him. "You'd be able to be around Kylie more." She smiles up at him.

        Finn flashes his 100-watt smile at Evie and winks. "Thanks for the tip."

        Evie smiles back. "Anytime." "Oh, and you know that she has a boyfriend in West Virginia right?" She informs him. 

      Finn sighs. "I do." Evie purses her lips not approving him going after Kylie while she's dating someone.

       Finn looks at her staring at him. "Stop looking at me like that. I know she's with Jacob. But it doesn't mean I can't have feelings for her."

      Evie chuckles. "You have feelings for her?" She asks him.

       She sees his face turn red. "No!" "I just meant that I am interested in her." He shrugs. "That's it."

      Evie laughs. "Oh my gosh! You do have feelings for her. It's more than a little crush!" Evie plays with her doorknob. "I've never seen you like this. It's kinda cute." "And also inappropriate." She says truthfully.

      Finn looks up at her quickly. He scowls. "I liked you didn't I." He winks. 

      She puts her hands up defensively. "I didn't mean cute as in I have a crush on you." She rolls her eyes. "Okay. Maybe a little like that. But it's also funny."

      Finn shrugs Evie's truth off. "I've never felt nervous around anyone before. And I feel like I am almost constantly nervous around her." He vents to Evie. 

      Evie smiles at him. "I don't think you have to be nervous around her. She's nervous around a lot of people. And she won't bite." Evie jokes.

      Finn chuckles. "I know. But I still can't shake that feeling when I'm around her. I know I shouldn't like her because she has a boyfriend and because I'm too old for her. But I feel like she is so different than anyone I've met." He looks at Evie and sighs. "No offense."

     She chuckles. "None taken."