CHAPTER 39: First Rehearsal! Part 3

FIRST UPLOADED: AUGUST 5, 2021 3:56 PM

"What you have sensed sister; is all correct." He groans. "As usual." Matt looks at Lonnie; the beautiful color in her face draining, the color that their mix of Polynesian and Greek heritage blessed them with. "I'm sorry. I shouldn't have told all of them. Only Finn should know about our two families." Matt sighs. Then he lowers his voice to a whisper. "And Finn, Kylie, Brian, and Evie are the only ones that should know about us being Mer-folk." Lonnie darts her eyes to Evie worried. She glares back at her brother. "Evie and Brian are also one of us?!" She screams shocked. Evie, Finn, Kylie, and even Matt all 'shush' her. Lonnie slinks back and sighs. "Sorry about that outburst. I seem to be out of the loop on a lot of Mer-Business." She scowls at her brother. Matt shrugs his shoulders. "I greatly apologize sister. But I am too. Dad has been very secretive too." Lonnie nods quickly. "I know!" She whispers shocked and smacks her leg. Finn and Evie flinch.

"How has he been acting?" Kylie asks her. Lonnie looks away from her brother and straight at Kylie and cocks her head. "Wow!" She exclaims. "I can't believe I've never noticed it before." Lonnie shakes her head feeling stupid. "You DO have the tattoo." She smiles at Kylie. Lonnie looks at Finn. "And so do you. But of course, yours is like ours." She says pointing at her and Matt. Then Lonnie looks next to Matt. "Oh my gosh! Evie; I can't believe it! You have one too!" Lonnie gasps.

Everyone looks at Evie in surprise. Evie touches her face. "What? I do." Lonnie and Matt both nod. "You do." The Miles twins say in unison. Finn and Kylie nod, smiling at Evie. "You do E." Kylie grins excitedly at her Super-fecundation Twin. Matt and Lonnie look at Evie confused. "How long has she transformed?" Lonnie looks at her nearly identical brother concerned. "I have no idea." He shrugs looking at Evie. Evie looks at them, her round eyes open wider than before. "What's wrong?" She says worriedly. Matt looks at her and smiles. "Seems like you have the EXACT tattoo as Finn, Lonnie, and I." Matt says. Evie gasps. "So everything you said about my father is true? He is a born Merman?" Evie leans in closer to him curious. Matt nods. "Indeed." He nudges her and winks. Caught off-guard by his flirty demeanor; Evie smiles back at him. Kylie and Finn look at each other confused. Lonnie looks at her brother and chuckles. Matt quickly looks at his sister. "What?" Matt says, his voice cracking and his tawny cheeks slightly turn pink. Lonnie smirks at him and nods toward Evie. "Seems like you have another internet amoureux." Kylie and Finn look at Matt and then at Evie. "What?!" Finn gasps, as he gawks at Evie. Evie sits there trying to remember her French from last year. Evie looks at Kylie's mouth hanging open and gasps. "What?!" She looks at Matt. "Wait." Evie shakes her head confused. She shifts her gaze to Lonnie instead because if she heard Matt right; she can't look at him right now. "Did I hear correctly that his new love interest in me?" Evie blinks nervously. "You did," Kylie says plainly. "Yes, you did. He's a pig." Finn chimes in. Lonnie and Matt look at Finn and scowl at him. Finn shrugs. "It's not entirely incorrect." Finn looks at Kylie. Kylie sighs at him for saying anything. "Finn." "It's not really his fault he likes someone else other than his BondMate. Apparently, it's possible." Kylie takes up for Matt. Matt looks at her and smiles. Kylie shrugs.

"Do you seriously think you...." Evie takes a big breath. "Love me?" She lets out a big breath. Matt puts up his hand and shakes his hand. "Oh gosh no!" Matt sighs. "I barely know you, Evie. I've just had a big crush on you." He unintentionally blurts out. Kylie lets out a 'pfft sound and Finn chuckles. Matt ignores them both and remains to look at Evie. "I know it's weird me choosing your sister as my BondMate; but I honestly saw you before, on the beach days before I saw Kylie. I thought you were so brave for jumping into the rough waves to get that ball for that kid." Matt's eyes light up. Evie looks down at her sketchbook in her lap. "Thanks. I think it's best if we just stay friends Matt. I don't want things to get even more complicated within our group." Evie sighs. Kylie looks at her sister and frowns. "Evie." She says gently. Evie looks up at her sister. "You don't need my permission if you want to date him." Kylie smiles. She remembers the first time Evie saw him at school; Evie mentioned he was the hottest guy she's ever seen. "I mean it. I want you to be as happy as I am." Evie smiles at Kylie. "Really?" Kylie nods, ignoring the lump in her throat and the pain that's in her chest.

"She means it. But I can't." Matt speaks up. "I'm sorry Evie. It's against the Mer-Law to be with someone else if we already chose a BondMate. I wish it was different. I really do." He says, almost choking on his words. Finn looks from Kylie and to Matt. Then he looks to Lonnie and shrugs. Lonnie nods at Finn. "He's right. If he would date Evie; then things will be very messy and possibly violent for all of us." She says. "I'm so very sorry Evie." Lonnie apologizes. Evie shrugs. "It's not your fault. I just wish for once that I'd be someone's first choice though. Maybe I need to start being interested in guys who are interested in ONLY me." She looks at Matt and then at Finn. Evie sighs, lays her Sketchbook down and stands up, and walks away. "I'll be back."