Chapter 5: Evie! Part 2

Originally Published: 2013-2014. Updated July 2017; November 2019; July 3, 2020; September 25, 2021; August 7, 2023; August 26, 2023. 

      "So how do you think your surfing lessons and study sessions will go since you found out you are..." Evie pauses. She looks at him and smiles. "...In loooovvveee with her." She mocks him. 

      Finn scowls at her. "I never said I was in love with her. 

      Evie shrugs. "It might as well be love, in your standards." She says. Finn smirks at her. 

      "Whatever." Evie playfully nudges him. "You know I'm right." 

      Finn sighs. "Maybe. Maybe not." "Maybe she's just a phase I'm going through." Evie scowls at him. "She better not be. She's a great person. She's more than someone's phase." 

      Finn smiles. "Maybe you are the one who has the crush on HER." He jokes.

      Evie scowls. "What?!" "Okay. Who's spreading rumors?" She says, glaring at Finn. Finn stays silent for a moment. "Well." She says impatiently.

       Finn rolls his eyes. "Kylie was just going on about how cool you were and how it was nice to have a new friend who liked the same things she did and I...." He hesitates, looking at Evie. "....May have joked with her that she had a crush on you." He forces a smile.

       Evie lets out a big huff. "Seriously Finn?" He shrugs. "I was just joking with her. The same way I was with you."

       Evie rolls her eyes. "I know." She laughs. "But her family wasn't brought up around gay people, so it could have made her uncomfortable." She informs him. 

      Finn tilts his head. "Oh." "I didn't know that." He smirks at Evie. "But she mentioned to me before that one of her FEMALE friends had a GIRLFRIEND."

       He shrugs. "So I don't think she was uncomfortable. "And besides the way she keeps looking at me and not other females during our surfing lessons; I don't think she's actually gay." He chuckles. "And she's obsessed with Taylor Lautner.

      Evie smiles dreamily. "Who isn't!"

      Finn looks at her dazed look. "Uhhh Me!" 

      Evie snaps out of her daze. "Well, you are insane. And was she really staring at you?"

       Finn nods. "Absolutely. I was shrugging it off at first; because I thought she was just focused on learning. But when I took my tank off, she was definitely staring, then she kept shyly looking away." He smiles. "So I'd say she liked what she was seeing." He smirks.

      "Oh wow. Still as cocky as I remember." Evie laughs. Finns scoffs. "It's not being cocky if I can back it up. Because I know she was staring." He winks at Evie

      . Evie rolls her eyes. "Stop. That doesn't get me anymore." She stares at him. Finn shrugs. "Can't blame me for trying."

      "I guess not." Evie chuckles." "I hate to kick you off my front steps. But I have cookies to make." Evie says. 

      Finn smirks. "Are they your...." He looks around to check if anyone is around. "....Special cookies?" He double-winks. 

      Evie frowns. "Not like that. You know I don't do any of that stuff anymore. If I did, I'd be kicked out of here quicker than you could throw a shrimp on a barbie." Finn shrugs trying to hold in his laughter from her offensive phrase. 

      "I know you don't. And for the record." He looks down at his brown boots. "Neither do I. I'm still clean. No alcohol for almost four years." Evie smiles at him, proud of his accomplishment.