Chapter One Hundred Sixty Eight

"Has your father gotten back to you about leaving," I asked as I rounded the corner into the kitchen?

"No, not yet. He's probably in his office, so we can just go down there and ask him in person." I walked up to the boy that was leaning against the countertop with his arms crossed. "He's probably waiting for us to do that anyway."

"You mean me don't you?"

"mmhm. I've asked him of a big favor already. You're gonna have to start a tab with that man too."

I wrapped my arms around his neck, "tab?"

"Yeah. He may think of you as family, but he still is a criminal."

"And what does that mean?"

He leaned down and kissed me, "He doesn't do anything for free."

"Good thing I'm well connected."

He just smiled and pushed me off of him. I just laughed and watched as he started to walk to the door. I followed him and just shook my head. I slipped into my shoes, and followed behind him. I didn't say anything when I heard voices coming from downstairs.

When we reached the bottom floor Ba Wei made a b-line straight to his father office. I kept close to him because although I couldn't see the people I knew they were around. I thought he would knock but he didn't. Instead he just walked in. His father looked up almost immediately.

"Xiao Wei, what have I told you about entering without knocking?"

"Sorry. I'm in a bit of a hurry."

"Ah is this about using my jet?"

"Yes. His father might be in danger so-"

"I don't want to hear you speak for him. I'm aware of what is going on with his father. I sent some men up there already. However if you want to use my jet Ji Nan you will have to ask me yourself."

Hearing my name leave his mouth I couldn't help but be uncomfortable. I cleared my throat and stepped from behind Ba Wei.

"I would but I don't really know how to word it."

The man chuckled, "how cute. I'm going to assume you've never had to ask for help before." I shook my head, "everyone needs to experience something new."

"Dad, don't be a dick."

"I'm not. Things don't come free in this family, he needs to understand that."

I narrowed my eyes, "with all due respect, it seems like you're talking down to me."

"I'm not. I'm simply trying to make you understand that my son won't always be there at your beck and call."

I didn't know what to say to that, and looking into that man's eyes didn't  help. I understood what he was trying to say but it did make me angry. I didn't need Ba Wei to fix my messes. I didn't need my father for them either. He said he wasn't looking down on me but it very much seemed that way.