Chapter Eleven

School the next day was uneventful

School the next day was uneventful. It went how it usually went. Teachers, lessons, homework was assigned; basic things. I sat in my desk waiting for the bell to signal that It was time for lunch. I wasn't hungry at; I just wanted to get up and walk around. My legs hurt from sitting for so long. I had to sit through literature, physics, mathematics, and chemistry; so you can see why I'm not too keen on sitting anymore. I glanced at my watch and a slight smile spread across my face when the bell sounded.

Students immediately jumped out of their seats, and headed to the halls. I followed soon after. Walking never felt so good. I pushed through the crowds of people and started to make my way to the roof. I pulled out my phone and searched for my father's number and clicked it. I waited patiently for an answer, and finally he did.

"Dad, are you okay?" My voice was cold but I truly was worried. Him not calling or texting me for three days was like me not breathing. It never happens.

"Yeah, I'm fine." His voice was rougher than usual, but I didn't comment on it.

"Why didn't you text me back?"

"I was busy with a project for the company."

I knew he was lying and it took all my strength not to call him out on it. He must have a reason for keeping this from me right? He has to.

"Okay," I said as I pushed the doors open to the roof.

"Don't worry."

The line went dead right after. He told me not to worry but he does suspicious shit like what he's doing now. Annoying. I stuffed my phone in my pocket, and stopped walking for a minute. I just took in the fresh breeze.

"Didn't think I'd see you up here." I looked towards the railing where I always sit to see Ba Wei leaned against it.

"Why is that," I asked as I walked over to him?

"Well, for one you seem like a library kind of guy." His voice held a playful tone. It was nice to hear it from him.

"I go to the library occasionally, the roof has been my go to lately though."

"Why did you stop going to the library?" I stared at the side of his face for a moment before reluctantly answering. Talkative much?

"Uh, I don't want to run into unnecessary people." He looked over at me and chuckled a bit.

"The whole school is unnecessary people."

"I guess you're right."

"Does it have to do with that girl that follows you around?" My head snapped in his direction and my eyes widened.

"How do you kn-"

"Who doesn't?" I didn't know what to say. I wonder why he was so talkative today. Wait, is it because we're friends? Last night he did seemingly agree, but I didn't think he'd go in to get to know me like this.

"Yeah, but I have a question for you."

"Hmm?"

"Why are you talking so much today? Even when we spoke before it was never this much."

His eyes that were on the ground glanced up at me for a second. I couldn't help but smirk a bit. It looked like he was embarrassed almost.

"We're friends aren't we?" I nodded in agreement. "Then is talking not normal?" I nudged him a bit.

"I guess I'm not use to hearing you speak so much." His face had returned to its normal state.

"Well get used to it," he responded coldly. I held up my hands in defeat.

"You got it." He didn't say anything after that, and I had no intention of breaking the silence that surrounded us. It was comfortable; something I never felt around people. I know I asked him to be my friend, but I didn't know how to feel now. I didn't think he would accept without a fight. I expected him to reject me, but he didn't. I felt strange.

"That girl that follows you around," he said catching my attention.

"What about her?"

"Why does she follow you around?"

I shrugged my shoulders, "I honestly don't know. I suspect she has a crush on me." I didn't suspect anything, I knew it was because she liked me. Saturday night proved that when she got jealous of me talking to one of her friends.

"You don't like her? She's kind of cute."  I was surprised to hear this come from him. Well,  he is a guy to.

" I feel nothing for her. The only thing she brings me is annoyance." I pushed my hair behind my ear, and looked at the ground.

"Then why let her follow you around?"

I sighed, "I'm just to nice to people I suppose. It's how I was raised."

"Yeah." He looked over at me for a brief moment before his eyes returned to the pavement. "We were definitely raised differently."

When I heard those words I immediately looked at him. Although his face was still stern there was an emotion that lay thinly over it. Pain, it was pain.

As I stared at his face I only wanted to do one thing, and that was comfort him. Why? You barley know him? I couldn't answer myself, but seeing that emotion on his face made me uneasy.

"Since we are newly friends, how about we tell each other about ourselves?" He turned to me and I immediately smiled. Believe it or not, it wasn't forced.

"You not knowing too much about me is for the best."  My smile faded as those words left his mouth. Usually that was my line.

"Why? I'm your friend, I won't judge you on the things you tell me." He pushed off the railing and started making his way over to the door.

"That's what they always say," he said as he left. I leaned back against the railing and looked up at the sky. This will be more troublesome than I thought.