Chapter Forty-Four

"Does your father request things like this often?"

"What do you mean?"

"Does he make you take care of people for him?"

Ba Wei hesitated for a moment, "not really. He just gives me task that he can't personally do for himself."

"So that's a yes."

"I guess," he scratched the back of his head, "it's not like I mind. I'm just doing my job."

That last word echoed in my head and I couldn't help but ask, "is your father apart of the gang that you're involved in?"

Ba Wei didn't say anything and just stared ahead. I leaned forward slightly to see that his irises were moving. Is he thinking?

"Yes."

I frowned, "is that so."

"Yeah, but don't think that my father forced me to do anything."  Did I hear him correctly?

"What? How can I not," I asked confused?

He turned his eyes to mine and without breaking eye contact he said, "it's a family thing."

I didn't know what to say back to that sentence because I didn't understand it. It's a family thing? What does that even mean? How can being in a gang be a family thing? His father obviously introduced him to that world, so why was he defending him?

The room fell silent and Ba Wei sighed and let his head fall back. I looked over at him and my eyes slowly worked their way down his throat. I watched as his Adam's apple bobbed up and down as he swallowed. How erotic. I shifted my eyes to the floor and tried to calm my now racing heart.

"Why is your face so red," Ba Wei asked?

"It's not," I said turning to look at him.

"If I asked why it's red, then it's obviously red."

"Um. Well I don't know why it's red."

"You sure," he asked? As I stared into his eyes I could feel my face become more red. A smile spread across his lips, and he let out a chuckle. "Do you do that unconsciously or on purpose?"

"You really think I voluntarily make my face do this?" I shifted my eyes down and just looked at my hands.

"Don't get snappy. You just do it a lot so-"