Chapter Forty

Although the woman in front of me just asked me a question I couldn't answer

Although the woman in front of me just asked me a question I couldn't answer. I was too distracted by her overall presence to comprehend anything that came out of her mouth. I looked her up and down and from just that I could clearly see that she was wealthy. Her clothes didn't look that expensive, but the shoes on her feet definitely were.

"Young man," she said pulling me out of my thoughts, "I asked you a question."

"Um, my name is Ji Nan." My voice was shaking from how nervous I was. I watched as her eyes traveled down my body and even worse I saw them stop at my bare legs. How embarrassing! She was about to say something else when that familiar deep voice echoed through the room.

"Hey, what do you want for dinner?" Me and the woman kept eye contact as he said that. Her eyes were cold, yet they were still beautiful. She reminds me of Ba Wei. I was about to answer him, but the woman beat me to it.

"Ba Wei," she said, "come out and introduce me to your friend."

I had thought that Ba Wei would rush out immediately after hearing a female voice, but he didn't. He didn't even bother to answer this woman. The silence that surrounded the room was horrible, and the fact that she was still staring at me made it even worse.

After a few minutes passed, footsteps finally could be heard coming down the hall. I looked back to see that Ba Wei walking in. He was wearing a large white shirt and some black sweatpants. A part of me felt relieved but when I looked up at his face I flinched. Why is his face so cold.

"What are you doing here?"

"What do you mean what am I doing here," the woman said.

Ba Wei held up his hands, "sorry, but you usually call before you show up." The woman sat her things down on one of the chairs and crossed her arms.

"What? A mother can't come visit her son unannounced?"

When she said that I immediately made an oh motion with my mouth. That would explain her cold eyes and very cold personality. Why didn't I notice before? It was probably because he looks nothing like her. He must've got all his genes from his father.

I watched them talk for a good minute, but I couldn't tell you what exactly they spoke about since I was just happy that the conversation didn't involve me. I didn't want to be the center of attention at this very moment. If I had pants to put on; it would be a different story.

"Who's this boy?" Both of their eyes shifted to me, and once again the attention was back on me.

"He's just a friend. Did he not tell you his name?"

The woman looked at me once more, "no he did."

"Then why ask who he is when you already know." Ba Weis voice seemed quite cold, but his mother didn't bat an eyelash. It was almost as if she was use to it. She did have the exact same type of personality, so it probably sounded normal to her.

"It's just the first time you've brought someone here in a while." I looked over at Ba Wei and for the first time he shifted his eyes so he wouldn't make eye contact.

"Mom, introduce yourself. It's rude to ask someone their name but not give yours." He walked out of the room after saying that and I turned my attention to his mother. A smile spread across her face and if I had met her when she was all smiley; I would say that it was very inviting.

"My name is Tang Meilin, but you can just call me auntie." As she said the end of her sentence her smile seemed to get bigger. As I stared at her smiling face, something about it seemed off. It reminded me of my own smile that I plaster across my face. Fake.

"Nice to meet you."

Almost like clock work, when I said that sentence the smile on her face vanished. It was scary to witness something like that. I know I put on a mask also, but I was never this bold about taking it off In front of people. Scary.

"So what do you boys want for dinner?" Ba Wei walked back into the room right after she said that. He walked over to the couch and sat down beside me. He sat rather close to me. So close in fact that our knees were touching.

"Just make what you usually do." Meilin didn't say anything to that and she immediately went into the kitchen. Ba Wei turned to me and then looked down. I watched as a smile spread across his lips.

"What are you smiling about?"

"I forgot you don't have any pants."

My face began to heat up, "yeah. It's embarrassing."

"Why?"

"Why? This is the worst possible way for me to meet your mom." He didn't say anything and instead he reached out his hand and placed it on my lower thigh. A weird feeling flooded over me.

"Trust me," he looked up at me, "she's seen worst when walking in unannounced." I narrowed my eyes at him and all I felt was annoyance. I grabbed his hand and moved it.

He laughed, "nothing like that." He put his hand back on my thigh, but it was higher this time. "You're so easy to read."

My cheeks were burning red already and as I stared at his hand on my upper thigh my face seemed to become even more red. As if reading my mind he slid his hand down stopping at my knee. I wish that didn't feel as good as it did. My body felt tingly, and I honestly was glad that the shirt that covered my body fit very loosely. Calm down.

"Um," I said clearing my throat, "what is she cooking?"

"Probably just a soup of some sort. She's dressed up today so she won't cook much."

"En. That's good to know."

He was silent for a minute, "does your legs hurt?"

"Huh?" I looked down at my legs. "No. Not really. They're a bit tender but that's it."

"Ah okay."

"Why?"

"Nothing." Even though he said at something in me felt like he was lying.