Chapter Twenty-Five

I woke up the next morning to the smell of food

I woke up the next morning to the smell of food. I slowly opened my eyes and stared into the hallway. I sat up and rubbed my eyes. I grabbed my phone and checked the time. It was an hour before I usually woke up. I slid out of bed and made my way to the kitchen. As I entered I was met with the back of my father. He was standing in front of the stove; he was cooking. I scratched the back of my neck confused on the reason why he would come here this early just to cook. I could feel my stomach turning as I thought about eating whatever he was cooking.

It wasn't that his food was bad, but it wasn't good either. He could cook certain things well like boiled eggs, ramen, and omelets, but when it came to more complex dishes he could never make them taste good. I still ate the food of course, but the pain that followed was harsh. Yet, I still appreciated the gesture of it.

He started trying to cook for me after mom left, but it always ended with me in the kitchen and him sitting at the table waiting to eat. I smirked as I recalled the times we were always together. I missed those days way to much.

"What are you doing here," I asked as I pulled a chair out and sat down. He turned around and looked at me. A bright smile spread across his face before he turned back around to whatever he was cooking.

"Since it's Friday, I thought I'd cook you some breakfast." I yawned and rubbed my eyes. He seemed to be in a better mood than he was in last night. It probably was the alcohol in his system that was talking last night.

"Really? Don't have a hangover?"

He chuckled, "why would I have a hangover? I only had one drink last night." That was a lie. Last night was definitely not just one drink. The more I stared at him the more annoyed I got.

"What are you cooking," I asked changing the subject?

"Stir fried rice noodles."

"Huh," I said surprised, "you haven't cook that since..."

"En. I know," he said as he turned off the stove, "so savor this meal." I didn't say anything and just watched him plate the food.

It really did smell good, and with that smell came memories of my childhood both good and bad. He sat the plate down in front of me and sat chopsticks beside it. I looked up at him to see that there wasn't another plate.

"Are you not going to eat?"

He shook his head, "I plan on eating after I leave. I have things to take care of today." Of course you do. You always do. "I also made you some steamed buns."

"Ok," I said as I began to eat. It tasted just as I remembered. A small smile made its way onto my lips as I chewed. Before I knew it I had finished the whole plate. "Thanks for the food," I said coldly.

"You're welcome." As he finished that sentence he glanced down at his watch. I saw his eyebrows furrow as he sighed. "I have to get going. I will be back a bit after you get out of school. We should have dinner together."

I got up from the table and walked the plate over to the sink. I simply nodded and he smiled. He patted me on my shoulder and said his goodbyes like he always did. I didn't bother returning them seeing that most likely we wouldn't be having dinner tonight. He always lied. I stared at the plate in the sink and I felt that numb feeling return. Annoying.

After he left I walked back into my room and climbed back into bed. I grabbed my phone and opened it. Strangely I had a message from Yaling. She had sent it around two in the morning. I was just going to delete it but I was to curious. I clicked on the message and read it.

Yaling: Can we talk?

I sighed and closed the message. What did she need to talk to me about. We hadn't talked or even interacted with each other in days. I honestly forgot she even existed. She didn't even seek me out during lunch anymore. She would always leave right away. If I was trying to avoid her, I would say she was trying to avoid me.

I rolled my eyes and just sighed. I wasn't going to send her a text back. I guess I could seek her out when I arrive at school. I threw my phone down and rolled over and looked at the ceiling.

I thought aimlessly about nothing but I couldn't help but think about why my father was here. It's strange that he'd actually come back when he said he would. It's even stranger that he is being kind. I'm aware that he could just be being nice because he missed me, but that's not how my father works. He is never nice for no reason. He's usually as cold as I am. I would say even colder than me. So, why come back? What did he have to gain from coming here?

"Probably here to make money and then leave again," I said aloud. I wish what I said was wrong but it most likely was the reason. He didn't even come on my birthday just to celebrate with me. He came for business and then me. How pathetic.

I stared at the ceiling so long that my alarm for school went off. I sighed and stopped it without even moving from the spot I was laying. I sat up and laid my head in my hands. I rubbed my hands down my face and sighed. I have to deal with people again. Fun.

I slid out of bed and walked into the bathroom. I turned on the light and looked into the mirror. My left cheek had a slight purple tint to it. I reached up and slightly touched it, but no pain came from it shockingly. I don't know what I was expecting anyway seeing that this came from such a weak opponent. I picked up my toothbrush and chuckled. At least I got to beat his ass afterwards.