Chapter One Hundred Seventy Six

My mind was empty and only those words echoed through it

My mind was empty and only those words echoed through it. I couldn't stop the tears from running down my face anymore. I was hyperventilating at this point.

"I've known since the day I was diagnosed that I didn't have much time, but I hadn't thought my body would be giving up so easily."

"How long," I asked calmly?

"When I was first diagnosed they said eight months to a year. I have been getting treatment." He cleared his throat, "I didn't lie to you about that."

"But you just didn't think to mention that you had a year to live?"

"I didn't want to worry you. You were already upset enough with me having that woman around."

Tears slid down my face as I stared at him. Did he really think I'd be upset if he had told me that. Sure I was a brat but the thought of not being able to call him shook me to my core.

"Why," I sobbed out, "why would you think I'd be upset if you told me you are dying."

"Don't cry. I'm fine," he said ignoring what I had said. "I'm not going anywhere for the time being."

I didn't say anything and just sat there and sobbed. The entire past few months played in my head. All the times I had mistreated him, all the times I had yelled. I'm such a terrible son.

I hadn't been there when he was diagnosed nor was I there for any of his treatments. I hadn't even asked him what kind of cancer it is. I had been so focused on myself that I hadn't even thought about how he must be feeling.

"I'm sorry," I sobbed out.

"Why are you apologizing," he asked as he ruffled my hair?

"I'm a terrible son," I said lowly. There was a silence before my father began to speak again.

"You're not a great son, but you're not terrible either. You're my son. You're you, and I can't ask for much else. I've spent too long trying to control how you act, even down to your relationships." He took a bite from his food, "that boy treats you well hmm?"

"He does," I said as I finally started to get emotions under control.

"That's all that I can ask for. I don't understand it but I won't be so disapproving."

Just as my father got done speaking Ba Wei walked back in the room followed by Ba Ming Chun. He looked at me then at my father.

"You've finally told him," Ba Ming Chun asked?

"Sadly yes."

"Are you okay," Ba Wei asked as he approached me?

I didn't answer nor did I look up at him. I had thought he would say something but instead he grabbed my hand and pulled me to my feet.

"I'm going to take him to bed. Keep a eye on him until the doctor arrives," Ba Wei said.

He pulled me out of the room and I usually would try to read his emotion but today I was more focused on my own. I watched as he pulled me into the room and shut the door. He dropped my hand and immediately wrapped his arms around me and once again I began to sob.

"Shhh. It's okay."

As I stood there in his arms I couldn't help but feel like I was a burden for even him. He rubbed my back and somehow just that little gesture made me feel better. He pulled back from me and our eyes met.

"Your face looks a mess right now," he said with a sly smile.

I pushed him as a chuckle left my mouth, "cut it out asshole." He laughed and reached out and wiped away the tears that were still falling.

"Are you okay," he asked a he pulled me towards the bed? I nodded but seeing him frown let me know he didn't like that. "Tell me verbally."

I stayed silent and Ba Wei did too. He sat down on the bed and pulled me between his legs. He looked up at me while he rubbed the back of my hand with his thumb.

"Baby talk to me," he said softly.

I let out a small sigh, "I'm a burden..."

"To who?"

"To everyone around me. To my father especially."

"Ji Nan-"

"No," I said cutting him off, "my fathers dying and I have to take responsibility that I am a terrible son." I could feel my eyes start to sting again, "he's dying Ba Wei."

"Hey, listen to me," he pulled me down onto his lap, "you're not a terrible son nor are you a burden to your father nor anyone around you. Don't ever think that."

"But-"

"No buts. Familial relationships are tough. Just because you two disagreed on certain things doesn't mean he loves you less nor does it mean he is disappointed. Don't blame yourself after hearing such news."

I looked up at him through blurry eyes, "I'm scared. I don't want to lose my father...I won't have anyone else left."

He kissed my forehead, "don't be scared. I'm right here. I'm not going anywhere. I can't protect you from the pain of losing your father but I will help you through it the best way I can."

His voice was smooth as he spoke. It made my body relax a bit more in his arms. He laid his forehead against mine and closed his eyes. I wiped the tears off my face and studied his face for a second before I leaned in and kissed him. His eyes shot open almost immediately and I deepened the kiss. I pulled back almost a second later and I knew my cheeks were a light pink shade.

"What was that for," he asked?

I wrapped my arms around his neck and leaned into his body. His hands went to my waist and he squeezed a few times before he slid then under my shirt. I had thought he was about to feel me up how he usually does but he just rubbed circles into my side.

"Just wanted to kiss you," I mumbled out.

He let out a small chuckle, "you're really too cute."

I kissed his neck, "only for you."

Ba Wei didn't say anything but I felt his hands move from my back to underneath my butt. I was about to question what he was doing but before I could he had already lifted me with him as he got up from the bed.

"Put me down," I said embarrassed.

He shook his head, "you know I'm not going to."

I watched as he walked into the bathroom and turned towards the sink. He carefully sat me down on the counter and immediately started to study my face. It felt weird with him not touching or saying anything as his eyes looked at every flaw on my face. He reached out and caressed my left cheek and I leaned into his touch.

"Seeing you like this-"

"Im sorry," I said cutting him off before he could finish his sentence.

I watched as his face softened, "you have nothing to apologize for. I just don't like to see you crying when I can't do anything."

I pulled his hand to my lips and planted a soft kiss on it, "you being here is enough. Thank you."

He leaned in and kissed me, "I love you so much."

"I love you too."