Chapter 37 - Derailment

September 3rd, 2026. 14:02

In a long hallway in the base, Logan walks as he carries two ice creams, one with strawberry and one with vanilla, both with cake cones. Not many people come by except for some off-duty soldiers chit-chatting with each other, or some watching their phones. It's almost like a normal day in the base when there is nothing to report yet. What Logan could do, it may be something worth enjoying with an Ice cream.

As he continues through the hallway, a hand taps his back for a bit. Logan peek from behind, only to see Berat himself, looking firm aside from some bandage in the left arm. Some time to recover was needed after all.

"Hello there," Berat greets him "How are you doing?"

Logan takes out the ice cream and hands it to Berat. He takes it but shakes his head.

"Thanks, but I can't eat that."

"Oh, but why? Allergies?"

"That's what most would tell you, but not in my case. Simply put, my head needs a bit more heat, can't risk the unfortunate brain freeze at any moment." Berat sighs "I didn't know if that's satisfactory enough for you, but that's the best I can explain it to you."

Berat gives him the cone back, Logan still smiles at his nod.

"Also, sorry I'm lacking manners today, but I'm kinda in a hurry to meet up with someone. But first, you feeling better now?" Logan asks.

"Yeah, I'm almost back to my old self now." Berat nods "Some might cheer for my return now, but my body still needs more rest of course. and for my darling as well. But don't worry, I'll be fine, my dear." 

"You're right about that, though I hope he's doing well too," Logan says, making Berat chuckle for a bit.

"He's fine, just having a hard time dealing with his own emotions, that's all."

"I hope it's not just because of what led to the rescue, I'm not sure he's one to take some humble pie." 

Berat lets out a brief laugh from this, as some soldiers glance at him from this sudden moment interrupting their routine.

"Oh don't worry, I'll make sure to remind him of the manners true soldiers should have in times like this. Anyway, who are you going to meet up with? That beloved Amira of yours?" That question makes Logan lean away from him as he glances away from him.

"We're...not an item...yet. Just some guy who needs comfort from the latest battle."

"Ah, that's something nice to do. Now, I have a meeting to attend to, so I'll be on my way. You do me a favor and keep me updated on your progress, alright?"

"Sure thing."

Logan nods, as Berat offers his hand. Logan takes it with a firm shake, Berat gives a nod and walks away. He then goes back to his original route.

"Amira, I hope these two can find their happiness in the end," Berat whispers to himself as he walks away.

After some time walking, he sees the waiting room on the floor, which has four couches, some tables and cigarette dust bins, with an elevator door in front of them. In the one near the telephone station from behind is Rian himself.  Compared to last time, he wears an olive-drab sleeveless military jacket, with the name "Aguila" imprinted on the left side. The back has an imprinted name that says "Amaya", and his right arm has a zig-zagged tattoo with blue, white and red colors with a star on the left side, colors of the flag of the Philippines. He looks clean, aside from a bandage near the ribs. Must be something he got as he left the city.

Logan sits down on one of the couches and leans back, as he observes him smoking a cigarette. He puffs a bit before he exhales the smoke. He glances at the clock on the wall, it reads 14:20.