Chapter 120 - Questions Left Unanswered

October 17th, 2026. 10:36. Compound near the wall of the Evolved Zone. 

It has been a while since many of the patrols have recently received some rest from the constant surveillance in South LA, days after days of firefights, ambushes, and even some backstabbing involved in most corners of the town, it even looks like they will need a better performance when it comes to hunting all dissent on behalf of the Zlocu. After all, the amount of sleepless nights and constant wounds is not going to automatically solve their spirits overnight. For that, it's where a warrior's place for a break can come in, no matter how brief it can be, so as long it can vitalize the troops as needed. 

The compound is full of crates loaded in lines of cubes, either transported by some of the mechanical walkers or some of the enforcers around the area, it all depended on the weight of the cargo, whether it has weapons, food or any other supplies to keep in stock for future missions. All while lines of enforcers patrol certain areas while others dress off from the heavy gear and vests that they usually wear in the line of duties, either by chatting with the other men or just drinking a couple of shots, whatever they can think of for their break time. 

For many of them, it's a good time of respite to brag about, or perhaps a time to hang out with the best of companions they can find. 

But for others, it's a moment of uncertainty, as the increasing number of assaults and attacks, combined with the increased presence of soldiers and equipment in the city due to being the last bastion of Zlocan control in the USA means it's only a matter of time before they can face adversaries, ones that can be ones beyond their control and training. And when it comes, they will do anything to "defend" the city. 

By all means necessary. 

In one of the stations around the wall, deep inside a room where the dull greys cover each corner of the walls aside from two windows with the curtains upwards, ones where one can see the sight of the activities outside, albeit much more difficult if it comes to blinding sun rays that can come through the windows at the most unexpected of times. 

There is only a bed and a table with some rifle magazines that are in a horizontal line, with the AR15 rifle above them and some cartridges next to it. On the other side of the table is that of a Glock pistol with the magazines also removed from the cartridge, where it's below the barrel of the Glock. And below that is the standard combat knife, one with enough edge to cut through the most sensible of flesh. 

All while a certain figure sits near a table with a mirror to look at. Said figure is actually Cynda Riley, using a towel to wash away all the dirt and bleeding that's present in the face while wearing a white shirt, all without changing one bit of her frozen expression. The eyes, the mouth, and even the nose, all remain static and immobile like a statue that has been alone for a long period of time, devoid of any Human contact. 

Each swipe is swift and timed, almost like the speed from a cold machine programmed for a specific job at a time. And right after one last swipe, she remains on the seat for a while, as identical to a machine that hasn't received any orders yet. 

But as she sits and stares through the mirror, one where she sees the reflection of her empty gaze, a knock is heard from the door, two light knocks to be exact. 

"Present," Cynda says in a near whispery tone without glancing at the door, her eyes and mouth as unchanging as possible. 

"Well, yeah, it's obvious you'd be there, but care to open the door, please?" Rio's voice says. Cynda remains still and silent despite this. From there, some sigh is heard from Rio. 

"Sergeant Riley. The Quripeno twins request a personal meeting with you, it's all that they want to know, that's all," Erik's voice says. From that, Cynda stands up and walks steadily to the door, her expression still the same as usual. As she opens the doorknob, she sees the sight of a smiling Rio, with Mora holding his hand closely behind and Erik folding his arms in his back while glancing away for a bit with a frown for a bit. From there, it seems that there's more to this personal meeting than it looks.