Chapter 92 - Not So Different

1 hour later. 

Since the successful operation against Manta thanks to the effort of the rail cannons and with the assistance of the Earth Warriors, the atmosphere has been as jubilant as of late, all thanks to the actions of the members involved as well as their bravery. The halls in the base are full of calls of cheers and shouts of celebration, with soldiers strolling around the halls while talking about the latest event or even news footage of the satellite explosions that detected Manta's destruction. Each victory would mean a step closer to liberating Los Angeles from the Zlocu's grasp at last. 

However, while a grand majority took the news with grand smiles on their faces, and with the company of other similarly cheerful people, not everyone shared the same sentiments. 

Near the mess hall, as others shared their drinks of water and cherry sodas and such, two particular figures sit at a table in the corner on the left. All of them with pinched mouths in form of scowls, crossed arms as well as flat and narrowed eyes with heavy and slow breathing in-between. And nonetheless, this is expected looks from both Walter and Ji-ae, all ever since that day in San Diego. 

"Look at them go, partying as if it's something worth celebrating... They're only cheering to a bunch of phonies," Walter said while sipping some water with his left hand. 

"So damn right about that. Why care to save a bunch of people that were too weak to hold guns and even run for cover? We only should have saved worthy of fighting in this war." Ji-ae takes a sip of her own soda yet still her gaze is focused quite intensively on the party around them, one in which she hasn't seen something like this for quite a while. "They think they should be saved just because they were greenies, and that's a lot of bullshit." 

"It is indeed. And for what, just they were just pretty to be chosen by whoever the fuck is in the stars or something? Have they forgotten the one rule of what could constitute one to become a full-fledged warrior on their own way instead of being given on a silver platter? It's also equally idiotic that they're happy over something they didn't do." Walter sips another drink as he groans as well. Maybe a bit of a drink could have helped soothe those thoughts inside of him. 

"Yeah. I don't even think they're honest with themselves either. I mean, look at how happy they are because otherwise, they wouldn't admit that they almost died because of how much of a pussies they were. Add that as another reason why I think we should have ner taken arms in the first place, we fucking suck at everything," Ji-ae replies, still with a scowl on her face. One who endured many battles even at such a young age, and even then, it's almost like there is something else that is needed inside of her. 

Something that makes her full again. 

But just then, as they are about to take another sip from their drinks, they spot a peculiar figure in one of the windows passing by in the corridor outside the mess hall, one with a particular brunette hair and a style similar to a lion. This alone makes them stand up from their seats as they walk to the door while maintaining a stiff posture, all while their scowls are amplified to a  degree as if there's something of the individual that bothered them for so long in their eyes. 

Outside, the figure walks in the hallways of the base, hands tight in the pocket of his pants while he wears a plain red shirt. It's been a while since Logan has looked that casual outside the missions, a leisurely walk around the base is a near habit of his unless it concerns his nightmares in the late nights. His face doesn't show much of anything in it, unless it concerns some matters inside his head that are better to keep for himself, for as he still knows that he saved a handful of people in the operation, that enough should make him proud.