Chapter 128 - War Inside His Head

October 21st, 2026. 12:45. Outskirts of the hotel. 

The sunrise shines through the clear view of the landscape in the city, showing each ruin and decay most buildings and districts have, with the wreckages of cars littering the streets, with scavengers taking whatever they can find in them or even fighting among others or even hide from any of the patrols that may be inbound into the area, whether it's from the enforcers or the Zlocu themselves.  Nothing but fear is to be expected in the zone. 

All of it despite the best efforts of the EW to clear them out, yet the destruction of the museum has been a huge setback for them, as well as Boris' assault on Julian that's putting the team even more vigilant over when to strike next and when they should be deployed as necessary, with or without Sylvester's orders. 

Many would have wanted a clean streak of liberations by someone like the EWs for situations like in South LA, but the Zlocu prepared more plans than anticipated, perhaps ones that could be enough to destroy their spirits from that point on. 

But such things remain to be seen in how they can work in the long run, especially if some survive. 

Near one of the fences that creates a barrier between an elegant park that was once lush with green nature and plentiful rivers and the shanty district that's full of holes and cracks in many walls and the floor, there's one distinct figure who walks near the fence, yet doesn't glance at either the abandoned park or the ruins around them, merely gazing at the horizon in front of them, almost like there's not much else to think for this particular place. 

Rian has seen better days in comparison to what he has witnessed so far, even from his days as a runaway from the shanty streets of Manila, and while this position is one needed for the sake of a promise, Rian sighs at all the recent troubles and feedback he and the Wolfpac have faced in those days. 

I swear, if we can get just one day without any sort of incident, I'll be at peace right now... Kicking down a metal pipe sideways, Rian then leans near the fence as he looks down at the ground, sighing once more while rubbing the right ear for a bit while trying to keep a straight posture with a tight chest. 

However, before can continue being in solitude, certain footsteps are heard nearby, ones in rapid movement, almost like they come from comfortable shoes to wear. Rian glances a bit in the direction of the footsteps on the right side, and when Rian glances at a red sleeve, it's enough to make him glance away and even close his eyes from what he has seen. 

Even if it's from certain discussions that get out of hand for tragedies like this, it's clear that Rian may not be in the mood for what Logan has to bring. 

"So, hey, Logan..." Rian says while still glancing away from Logan as he stops a few meters away from him, yet still close enough to be within his hearing range. 

"How are you feeling today?" Logan asks as he keeps a straight posture from Rian who is still holding through the fence, his feet holding together with arms crossed as well. 

"Honestly, not that different from the other days," Rian says while shrugging. 

"Not even a tiny bit of difference for you?" 

"It's the same crap as usual, nothing more." Rian scoffs as well, all while Logan glances at the ground for a bit over what Rian has said. After a few seconds, Logan nods for a bit before glancing back at him. 

"Yeah, I understand. But more to that, about yesterday..." Before Logan can say anything else,  Rian swiftly glances at him as he takes a deep breath, then shakes his head while keeping his arms crossed. 

"You got something new or still your same old crap as usual?" 

"What? No, not that. It's just that, maybe we got... carried away for too much, especially with Julian and Rita." With that, Rian glances away from Logan and then sighs in response. A commanding officer certainly has to take care of their troop, no matter how grim things can be at the outset.