Chapter 94 - New Blood Rising

1 hour later. 

On the other side of the barrier between the Evolved and the Evolving zone, a convoy of trucks drives by on one of the roads while the sun is setting, with the surroundings being littered by either more unmarked graves formed in a vertical line, some wreckages of cars with some of the charred corpses inside of them, as well as the campfire of some human soldiers with crosses or eagles in their badges, all smiling and laughing while keeping their AR15 rifles next to them with some jeeps parked behind them, some which carried wrapped corpses on the trunk. They don't bat an eye at the incoming convoy, almost like this is the usual routine. 

Driving closer to the other gate of the barrier, where the usual checkpoint is placed with a handful of Zlocan guards with their rifles on standby, with some of the drones flying overhead, their red dots beeping by each second as they await for the next sortie to arrive and see if they did carry out their duty as instructed to. The two guards lean forward, almost as if they're seeing if this is the transport they have been told to inspect. 

The transport truck stops at the signal raised by the guard in front of it, where the next four trucks do the same. With, two drones fly above the trucks, and start a scanning process, checking the IDs as well if the cargo that each truck carries has been authorized by the high command to be delivered to one of the Evolved zones. 

"Guess you managed to pick the ones as expected. The troops will get another round for this," the Zlocan guard at the gate said to the driver, who only laughs in response as he ignites the truck once more with the key as the gates open in front of him, with the other drivers following suit. And with one more signal, the convoy heads to the other side of the barrier, where the neon lights from the skyscrapers of downtown LA illuminate the sky in every way possible. Once more, almost like it feels like a miracle that the city was rebuilt so fast in a matter of days after the invasion, but the Zlocu haven't shown anything benign with most reconstructions, especially when it concerns those they deem as worth dividing because of their ideals. 

On the fourth truck of the convoy, as they drive in a straight line on its way to downtown, there are four cuffed occupants in the seats, three men and one woman, with the one next to the woman laying his head near the back of the wall in the truck, with the others being covered in some slashes and cuts in the face, as well as some bruises in the arms or hands. After some moments of snorting, the young man near the woman, Amanda to be exact, raises his head while opening his eyes for a bit, glancing at each side as the truck bumps for a bit. 

"Hey, you, you're finally awake," Amanda says to the young tan-skinned man, Salim to be exact, still a few months ever since he last saved Seiner from the plane. And from his looks, he may have seen better days than being delivered like this. 

"Ah... Yes, I think I overdid it though," Salim says as he scratches his head while glancing away for a bit. Amanda only chuckles in response. 

"I heard you were one of the deemed by the Zlocu as a high-value individual for screenings... Guess they weren't too bright on that," Amanda replies. 

"Maybe it's because they want to know the rest of my belongings... How about you, pretty woman?" Salim asks, which makes Amanda frown. 

"Well, I tried to stage more uprisings in this area, but they still managed a way to kick us down, and now I caught their attention.  Joey and I are the ones left of the group, as well as that redneck over there," Amanda replies as she glances at the other men in the truck, who still stare blankly as the truck stops by. 

"Gimme a break, you wetback. My beloved America would have fared better against the Zlocan bastards until you arrived at our borders and distracted us, that's where they swept in and grinded all of us into oblivion. Ain't that right, big nose? We don't deserve to be here, the Zlocu should be hunting down those who deserve it," the bearded man says while also glancing at Salim, who merely scoffs at him.