Chapter 127 - Deep Sleep

October 20th, 2026. 08:00. Back at the hotel. 

Some decisions can have certain consequences in one way or another. Sometimes, even one that can cost the individual themself more than the ones around them. 

Julian is no exception to it. 

It's the room where both he and Rita rest together, one where even in the darkest hours, they have shared things to remind each other of the grace they feel between the two, no matter how awkward it may look. It's almost a miracle that during their time in Zlocan captivity, they've never lost any shred of their will and faith to keep moving onward to be together once more, which they eventually did. From there, they have fought together in many ways, all to honor their wishes as well as those of others for a better tomorrow. 

But now, such time may have come to a halt, even if it's a temporary one. 

Julian lies in the bed, with an IV tube attached to his right arm and another to a screen that monitors his heartbeat. It goes in a steady motion that's expected from a healthy heart, and the same can go for most of his body, aside from some scars that remain from Boris' blade in parts of his arms and some on his forehead, as well as some bruises on the cheek from the force of Boris' arm. A true miracle of survival indeed, especially with the helping hand of Tany. 

But even now, he lies motionless and mute ever since the fight, especially since something can cut really deep on you from a being that's beyond belief, especially if their strength and will come from inhuman sources. Even if the matter of waking is that of when the situation may have changed the ways both can do things together, and it may be even more uncertain when the war ends and if they win as well. 

Such are the times when two souls can be torn apart by the threat of death. 

The door creaks open, and Rita rushes in while Logan and Rian follow close behind, while Logan has his brow wrinkled and drawn together as he pants for a bit then stops on Rita's back, while Rian keeps a stooped posture and looks from afar at the two with a long gaze. Hard as he may try, Rian knows well of the costs of trying to be a proper mentor for his two companions, and for that, the road for the kinship between the three is still too long for him to walk alone, much less just two. 

Damn it, bata, you should have told us... 

Rita can only kneel near the bed as her tears fall from her puffy eyes, holding Julian's right hand tightly while breathing heavily. Even if the physical body of hers remains relatively intact from the moment, the mind is another story over something like this. 

"Please, please, please, Jules... Don't leave me..." Rita whispers amidst her sobbing near Julian's arm. 

"Tany did the best she could, and even then, the wounds were much beyond what we expected," Logan says while he lowers his gaze at Rita and his chin quivers a bit. 

"Still... It shouldn't end like this, not when they're still out there..." Rita replies with a breaking tone of her voice. Logan can only pat her head in response while glancing away for a bit, with Rian merely sighing as he glances down as well. 

"There's still plenty of time to catch up with him, I'm sure of it," Logan replies as he tries to keep a straight posture while glancing back at Rita. 

"Do you honestly think he'll wake up that soon...?" Rita asks while still clutching to Rian's bedridden body and swiping some of the tears from her eyes. Logan takes a deep breath for a bit as he looks for an answer that may be one that may satisfy everyone for a bit in such circumstances, even for something as low as mere comfort. 

"It's what we can hope for, at least... Surviving is what mattered the most," Logan answers. Despite this, Rita merely sighs sneezing a bit and still not glancing back at Logan.