Chapter 51 - Don't Look Behind

September 14th, 2026. 16:30

It's been one day since the attempted assault on the escort plane by Zlocan forces, repelled by the brave Crusaders with every inch of their lives. Ever since arriving, the atmosphere is one can call "full of unease". Of all the escorted Warriors to the hotel that hosts the conference, security is tight for Amira. Every time she goes outside with the group, she has to cloak herself with robes to hide from the rest. It's true that she has committed herself to save people, and yet almost no one else has known or even heard of her. An unknown sight for something that was unknown to the humans until now. What can the presence of more life outside the Zlocu reveal to them?

What does it mean? What will it change? Amira wants answers to these questions, but there are only so many things that she can do about it right now. Especially with war striking on Earth for months and with everything still mounting to unpredictable results.

The room has one bed, with a mini-bar near the television screen, as well as two doors leading to the bathroom and the closet. She sits on the bed near a window overlooking the bustling urban landscape of Chicago. The city bustles with life below her, the streets filled with people going about their day. The buildings are tall and imposing, standing like sentinels over the city. The shoreline is a distant blue line on the horizon, and the sight of it is both mesmerizing and alien to her. She can see the people below, going about their lives, and the thought fills her with a sense of wonder. But even so, doubts linger in her mind even for all that she sees.

A person knocks on the door, Amira slowly gets up as she goes for the doorknob and opens it, revealing Sylvester and her other companions, still wearing their formal outfits in combat.

"The conference is supposed to happen twenty minutes from now, and time is crunching in. Why lock yourself in your room?" Sylvester asks.

"I do not think I am fit to be in here. I want to be alone for now," she replies with a whispery tone. Her head facing down, opposite from the direction of their faces.

"You don't need to be alone." Sylvester puts his hand on her shoulder, trying to get her mood up. Yet, her position remains unchanged. "Amira, security is all over the place to ensure you and your friends are safe."

"Even so...I do not feel it." Sylvester sighs. He knows that Amira isn't herself at the moment. They've spent the past few weeks working together on many missions, but for as long the scars from distrust remain on her, her path remains a locked one.

Logan comes closer, looking at her face. Though he saw what Sylvester was capable of, she still hasn't the full grasp of humanity yet. And the grasp of further alien life for the humans. "Come on, Amira," Logan speaks softly as he caresses her cheek. "The way to deal with this is to have some faith in us."

She looks up at Logan, then gives him a soft smile as she tries not to lose herself. "Logan...I know what you mean, and I do understand, but this feeling that I have, I cannot shake off. Not everyone is like you or even me." She turns away from him, facing the window once more. "It is what I have to live with, but I thank you for giving me some sense of direction."

"C'mon, Am-chan, it's gonna be fun in this greatly great reunion!" Tany says as she steps in. Seiner only groans in response. "Room full of cameras and questions, you'll get to be a goodie teacher for the other humans!" Sylvester lets out a chuckle before he grabs her shoulders and gets to face her.

"Yes, but it could be very sensitive, and some would put a raucous tone to it. Such are students, Tany," he replies with a cheeky tone. She frowns in response and pulls her shoulder away from him.

"Don't be a meanie too!" Sylvester chuckles in response to this. He doesn't seem to be that bothered with the implication.

"I know, and I do understand, Tany. But like I said, I do not feel like attending. As much as it is important for them to know, I fear that there are those who want to do something else. Something terrible, not just to me, but to all of us," Amira replies. Sylvester tilts his head to the side, a questioning look on his face. He looks over at Seiner, expecting to see a similar expression on his face. However, instead, Seiner looks back with a serious look in his eyes and mouth. After some silence, Seiner steps in as well near Amira and pulls a device from his bag.