Chapter 40 - As the Dust Thins Out

1 hour after extraction

Flying away into the vast dark blue sky above the desert, it's none other than the Chrome Plane, formed like a C-17 Globemaster III. It's a hundred-foot giant of chrome, aluminum, and glass; a jewel of a plane, perfect in every detail. It sparkled even in the moon.

Inside the cockpit is Seiner manning the plane, with Lucy in the co-pilot seat. The rest of the teammates including Rian are in the back of the plane, wide enough to carry lots of supplies, weapons and even commodities for long trips.

"What a beauty," Luce says as she looks at the windshield showing the landscape. "It's loch a dream come true. ye pure got th' best gift after all."

"And I swear it's no gift, Luce." Seiner replies. "I was picked cautiously or whatever."

"Ye know what? I think it's not a gift. Ye're just really lucky."

"Oh yeah?" Seiner grins.

"Aye." Lucy answers. "Yer one of those who got the luckiest person in the world. And yeah, that include good Tany herself. I think she like ya."

"Yeah, she does." Seiner groans as he rolls his eyes from her. "But we're just friends, nothing more, that's the best I can describe it between us both."

"Really?" Lucy chuckles. "But ye're still friends with her, eh?"

"Of course." Seiner answers, still grimacing from the thoughts it reaches in his head the more she presses him with that grin of hers.

"Well, ye're very lucky, pal. I'm sure ye're always 'th' luckiest person in the world." Lucy says.

"No, I'm not!" Seiner snaps out of his trance. "You know, you should be the one who gets the luckiest person in the world. Not me. You don't know how much I wish I could be the one who's been through all this."

"Oh, guess I hit a nerve, eh?" Lucy chuckles. "Well, I don't mean to poke and pry into ye're personal life, but yer just like one of those people who like being naughty and being cheeky, but yo're always there for others. I never knew ye're like that since we never get a chance to talk much."

"That's because you're too busy to do so." Seiner snorts. "Besides, you're not a good listener."

"Like hell I'll ever be. Ah listen tae mah own pace." Lucy laughs.

"Hey! Don't say that!" Seiner shouts.

Luce giggles in response. "Why? It's true."

"Honestly, you can be just as irritating as her," Seiner adds.

"Ah really? Just her?" Lucy teases.

"Just, cut it off, will you Luce?!" Seiner lashes out in a sudden burst, enough to make Andrei throw a glance at the cockpit.

"Guess Jack isn't alone now," Andrei chuckles from the implications.

Lucy, who's still giggling, stops immediately. "Sorry yerself, Seiner."

"I'm sorry." Seiner sighs. "I'm just being... I don't know, being nervous I guess."

"Don't worry aboot it." Lucy chuckles. "I ne'er get angry with ye."

"Yeah, sure." Seiner replies, sweatdropping. "Let's...keep it quiet until we reach the base, you got it?"

"Sure thing, co-boss." Lucy smiles.

"Whatever, we're fine." Seiner sighs as he keeps the plane to fly.

Afterward, Lucy looks through the windshield, seeing what's ahead of them. There's nothing at all. The windshield is all dark blue, no clouds, no land, nothing else but the endless big night sky. On the ground,  the road is empty and dark, littered with debris of various vehicles and weapons, Humans and Zlocan alike. Such experiences would be bound in giving memories for a lifetime in one way or another.