Chapter 80 - Natural Selection

Thirty years ago. East Timor. 14:00 

Somewhere in a tent on the outskirts of the main town of East Timor,  a man was building a Pindad SS1 battle rifle with his own hands, checking the number of bullets inside as well as any magazines he had in his pocket. It was a steady process to ensure the rifle functioned in every component it had, even the rate of fire and placement of the magazine. 

The man had slick, black hair while wearing a green camo shirt and pants while keeping a worn-out backpack behind the bunk of the bed. It contained the items necessary for a soldier when they were deployed, including ammunition, rations, water, and even radios in case of an emergency call. Even during the most unlikely of events, such equipment was necessary to hand out in order to keep every soldier in check if they got lost. 

But just as the man finished counting the remaining bullets he had to insert into the rifle, a figure approached the tent, the shade of it that partly covered the entrance which blocked out part of the sunlight. This was enough to make the young man shift his glance to the figure who stood up in front of him. 

"I figured that you're under a new assignment from me, private Adi," the man said with a thick, foreign accent. Adi blinked his eyes as he leaned forward so he could get a better glimpse of the foreign man. 

"Uh, yes sir?" Adi asked, his tone a bit weak out of such unfamiliarity when talking to a man who didn't appear to be from his homeland. What kind of special circumstance would have brought him here? 

"Yes, you heard that right, my boy," another soldier said, this time one with a beret and rounder face, with three yellow bars in his uniform. The figure knelt down to observe Adi. He was a bearded man with black hair all around him, as well some gray in them, as well as some white spots on his forehead. He looked like a renowned veteran of sorts, but still, why bring him here? 

"You can call me Boris. I'll be of great help to you, whether you like it or not," Boris replied with a smirk, his piercing eyes overseeing every aspect of Adi as he stared at him wide-eyed, not used to having a strange like him make such kind of observation toward him in his life. 

"Private, surely you haven't thought of someone from a faraway land working with us before, right?" the staff sergeant asked once more as glanced at Boris, who merely nodded in response. Adi was still at a loss for words over this sort of circumstance. 

"I've heard that most soldiers here have trouble keeping order with the villagers on the island. Perhaps they need more of a helping hand by uncovering the hidden rebels among them." Adi raised his eyebrows as he stood up outside the tent to meet Boris. Even though he knew a reason for it, it may risk bringing someone as overqualified as him to East Timor. It was just a small island with nice sights of the sea, but the case of rebels was another thought caught by the travelers who were on the island. 

From this alone, Adi sighed in response while keeping a steady view of Boris and his commanding officer. 

"Lending a hand? I guess you could try..." But before Adi could say something else, the officer grabbed him by his shoulder while turning away from Boris, who stood there unflinching without any change of expression. 

"You better show some respect to him, my boy! We are talking about a feared warrior among us!" the staff sergeant replied with a high tone, and even though Adi tried to suppress a laugh from him, he knew that he needed to show the utmost of discipline in front of Boris. If they managed to get someone like him in here, then it's for a good reason, it seemed like. But no matter, as Boris merely shoves the staff sergeant aside while he placed his right hand on Adi's shoulder, presenting a slight smile on his face while Adi tried to glance everywhere else to no avail, aside from Boris' silver ring on his finger.