Chapter 53 - Reload

1 hour later, unknown location.

Julian walks alone in a hallway, surrounded by metal walls. The walls are cold, hard and silver, and they echo with the sound of his footsteps. He passes by some doors with keylocks. He can hear the sound of people talking and laughing on the other side of the doors, but he can't see them. It's been a while since the evacuation and destruction of Area 51. Now allocated in a distant location in California, the Zlocu are planning their next moves ever since.

Everything that dad told me is that this place would bring me greater freedom and safety. And yet, I feel like I only moved from one tight box to another...

Staring down at the seemingly vast landscape of the room, his feet shuffle in rhythm as he tries to keep up ahead in his routine. Awaiting orders is all he can do in those times with his father and the Zlocu, and yet despite all the promises said to him, it all goes unfulfilled every time it's brought up. Maybe emptiness is all Julian has at the moment.

Julian stops when he spots a door in front of him, blocking his path. It has a label that says "PRIVATE ROOM" in silver letters. He turns and notices that there is another turn that shows the door of the elevators. He turns back and forth between the private room and the road to the elevators. While following orders would be the most appropriate course, it can't be helped when one wants to seek the secrets in something hidden. Especially with some distant chatter inside.

To hell with it I suppose...

Julian sighs as he shakes his head then turns around and walks towards the door where he heard the sounds coming from. He opens it slowly, revealing a room full of Comic Book stash, posters, and various toys. At the foot of the room, Julian sees two familiar individuals. The blue-haired Rioso inspects a rusty arcade cabinet, while the red-haired Mora practices some moves with her body as well as her blades. Julian steps inside as he sneaks around the room. But then, he steps on a rubber ball which squeals. This makes him shout for a moment.

Both stop with their activities and look up at him, cowering himself near a stash of books. "Hey!" Rioso says, turning off the game. Mora is silent for a moment, suspecting Julian's intent, but then she responds. "Hi. Come out, we won't hurt you...yet."

Julian sits down on a chair nearby, still avoiding their gaze at them. "H-h-hey...Rioso and Mora...it's been a while, right?"

"Ah yes, yes indeed it's been a while. Did you do something productive or something?" Rioso asks, tilting his head back and forth. Julian only sighs in response.

"To be honest, not a lot. I'm being told that I'll get my chance to be a "real man", but every now and then, it's all just noise and nothing more. No one ever listens to what I have to say."

The Riosos glance at each other and then back at Julian. Rioso gives a slight smile. "Is that true? If so, why don't you stick with us for awhile? You should try something new if you're bored out of your skull."

Julian bites his lower lip as he considers Rioso's odd proposal.

"Wait, is it skull or mind? I'm confused."

"I think 'mind' is what he meant," Mora replies.

"Right! Out of your mind, it is." Julian only shrugs in response as he steps out of the stash of books.

"So, where did you get all this stuff?" Julian asks.

"We were given a handful of gifts for the day after the raid on Allison's house. Mora thought I would be interested in it so they gave it to me. We would love to seek more like them, but we can't really go shopping because it's too dangerous outside."