Chapter 89 - Rat in a Cage

October 6th, 2026. 06:07. Unknown place. 

Empty. An apt description of this rather spacious room full of shining chrome and blinding lights on, with only one door located at the very end of the corridor, and the rest surrounded by walls. The lights are not quite harsh or bright enough to make the corridor feel like an oven, but the rays that illuminate each part of it makes it feel like one big room made out of glass aside from the two cameras placed on each corner of the room. It's like a passage to something beneficial for Humans, a safe pathway. 

As the door on the other side opens, however, the sight of two Zlocan Knights can be seen emerging, both carrying young looking woman through her arms, with eyes that are partly closed as she leans back and forth on her sides to know where is she going, with faint gasps of breath heard as they drag her across the corridor. Her head is slightly droopy with stooped arms for an extra measure of someone with the barest sign of movement. 

As for the Knights, their gazes are focused on nothing else but the task they are assigned to, something that involves the woman they're dragging to. Said woman? None other than Rita Su. Things don't seem to be looking pretty for the little lady at all. 

"How much further do we have to drag the little damsel to the Enhancement Room? She's already more troublesome than anyone else," the male Knight on the right says, his tone being a bit weary yet still stern enough to keep his firmness as expected from a Knight of the Zlocu. 

"How about we toss her on the garbage chute where she truly belongs? We could use fewer wastes of breath," the female Knight on the left replies, who by contrast, keeps a firm tone without any alteration in it whatsoever. Nonetheless, they still keep on carrying to the other side as Rita wobbles from left to right. 

"Fewer you say? With Project Joshua already in full swing, it's already a waste in keeping most of our servants and prisoners in their flesh. Already many of them were reported to run away from even the mere sign of a bullet fired straight at them." 

"Then be quiet, the process goes the way our superiors order it. The way I see it, she may not even be meant to be fit for the Project." The knight pushes some buttons near the pad of the door on the other side. After four pressings, a green light flashes which makes the door slide open to head inside. "And it's not just a matter of saving material either." The male Knight only answers with a chuckle before heading further into the room. 

In contrast to the chrome-filled corridor, the next room is one of pure white, from the tiles of the floor to the machinery spread around the room, as well as the cranes in the ceiling and some humanoid doctors in white coats present as well, this Enhancement Room seems like it could take some of the Zlocan philosophies to the next level. 

"Is this Rita Su?" One of the male doctors asks the Knights, who only reply by forcing her to face her head up in the direction of the doctor, her eyes still half-closed, but still visible enough to make Rita grit her teeth while holding a high chin. Despite this, the doctor still points at the strapping chair in the center, it's wide enough to cover most of her body from the head up to her feet, all while facing a screen embedded in the wall, likely connected to the machinery near the chair. Her reaction alone is what makes the doctor nod in response. "Put her there." 

With that command, both Knights drag her to the chair and they push her down to remain in place as she's still barely able to move from here with her short and ragged breaths. Just as the Knights step away from the chair, metal clasps latch onto Rita's ankles and wrists, strapped tightly enough to keep her from leaving as the doctor opens a panel on a metal wall next to him, showing a lineup of flasks containing chemicals of various colors with roughly the same amount in each of them. He grabs one with a yellowish color and eventually pouring its remaining contents into the machine, which starts whirring with some buzzing sounds to it.