Chapter 17 - Who's To Judge?

Arriving near the City Hall with the Chrome Bike, the trio oversees many things that are widely present in war. Dismembered and charred corpses of both sides scattered on the ground, the rubble of some buildings around them, burning wreckage of the vehicles that were destroyed in combat, and the familiar stench of the fuel of the vehicles could be felt as well.  With all the scenery around them, they keep looking forward without turning around to see what's surrounding them. 

And yet at the same time, something unpleasant sat for all of them, something that is supposed to be expected yet they couldn't bear to admit it. They try their best in not get too attached to it...but it's hard to shake it off.

Not when there's the loss of life.

Not when pieces of beauty are crumbled.

And not when life on Earth is reaching the brink of extinction.

Not a single emotion being swayed away. 

Arriving near the street outside the hall and meeting up with the soldiers, Seiner re-digitizes the Chrome Bike in its cube form again.

"Hey, what took you guys so long?" a soldier asks.

"Shit happened," Seiner replies.

"Ah, well sucks to be you for a bunch of rookies. Set yourself straight next time and there won't be any time-waster at all, you got me?" another one replies, this time a female one.

"Oh, quit your blabbering, meanie! There's one thing when it's really just screwing around for screwy things and there's...hurt feelings!" Tany replies as she approaches the soldier before getting yanked off by Seiner away from her. She chuckles in response.

"Oh my darling, if only you know the rules a bit better than that thick head of yours believes."

"That's irrelevant right now, just please..." Logan says in a quiet tone.

The soldiers could only simply exchange gazes at each other while keeping their frowns in front of the trio. There's one thing they can care less, and that's the use of emotions in battle. Many interpret differently but it's said to be a vital factor when winning something.

The soldiers then turn around as they hear some murmuring behind them, all while observing the battle happening near the hall. They start approaching to see what's going on, with the trio following suit.

What they see is the aftermath of G.o.D. Squad show of power, a way to show that even under Alien threat, Humanity won't let themselves to be taken as slaves for anything and anyone else in all existence. Around them are the chopped off corpses left in their wake, which is the perfect result of it.

"And speaking of setting things straight, you guys should follow these ones a bit more. They know how to teach those sons of bitches in how not to mess with Humanity," the female soldier says as she smiles brightly.

"Hell yeah! They can get-like-some load of fans and money if they gain all the fame for saving us, I mean, we need more heroes these days!" another one replies.

"Well, pave the way to them after all!" the female soldier replies as she chuckles alongside the others. The same can't be said with Logan and his team, however. All they do is to stare at the aftermath of the battle while the members of GoD squad get up to fight some more. This time with the remaining guards outside including Thomas. 

Their frowns are as deep in what they perceive in what they see. What is the meaning of that "heroism"? Did it really need to change? 

"We should know better..." Logan quietly mutters.

"Oh quit dicking around, you know which ones to rely on!" the male soldier retorts.

"But what's the value of it? The bloody value?" Seiner asks, still not changing his gaze to her.