Chapter 91 - Shifting Tides

Roughly at the same time. UEF F.O.B. 

"Our counteroffensive in the Pacific is bringing us closer to freeing our nation from the Zlocu's grasp. However, we still have some significant obstacles to clear the way if we must get through there. As you all know, they still have the Maria de Manta and the Ammit to track our moves and coordinate their assault efficiently around the perimeter. However, knowing their capabilities between the ground and the air, the high command decided to take out Manta first, luring it away without the support of Ammit. Analyzing the shield capabilities of Manta, we determined that the best course of action was to deploy one of the few remaining Zumwalt-class destroyers capable of loading railgun projectiles at high speed, which will be enough to penetrate the shields and strike at the core." The screen zooms in on the model of the Zumwalt, one that carries a futuristic design to prove its capabilities as a naval ship in the 21st century, while markers are pointing towards the northeast part of the pacific ocean of the area near Los Angeles. 

"However, due to the amount of time needed to load the railguns, it is imperative we need to make our sole shot count. In addition, it will also need the escort of a handful of cruisers and destroyers for defense, including the Warriors in anticipation of any assault delivered by Zlocan patrols in the area, whether it's by sea or even the air. Manta may be closing in as well, but if our operation goes as planned, we will be able to shoot it down before it can deploy her fearsome attacks on us. If the Ammit is on one side of the cyclops' arm, then the Manta serves as the strongest one, and crippling it would severely impact the cyclops, so it's imperative we complete this mission at all costs." The last shot of the briefing screen shows the strike team of the Zumwalt in the area, all while dots appear around its perimeter as a way to anticipate the incoming strikes from any Zlocan patrols in the area, including the Manta herself with her long-range and weaponry. However, if there's one thing to prove in most of these battles and their wars, is that size doesn't always matter. 

And that may be proven itself on the battlefield of the Pacific Ocean once more. 

2 hours later. 

In the brightest of the blue seas as the sun still shines above, two Ticonderoga-type cruisers smoothly sail across the blue waters of the Pacific on the left side of the Zumwalt, while two Arleigh Burke-type destroyers also maneuver on the right side, all without any sight of any Zlocan force. Even with every missile, cannon and radar at the disposal of any of the ships escorting a valuable weapon for one big purpose, it still doesn't detract from the beautiful sight of the ocean with the sun rays reflecting on their surfaces, unless they can clean up the wreckage in the depths of the sea. 

But it's not just the five ships on the surface sailing on patrol, as right next to the Zumwalt, the graceful lines of the sailing boat glide beneath the surface, her submerged hull cutting through the cool, dark water with effortless grace. A Chrome Boat that is, continuously adjusting her position to keep the pace of the sleek, modern and valuable fleet she's escorting. It didn't matter if is microscopic in comparison to the grandiose size of the fleets, the Chrome Boat can still carry enough material to defend the whole fleet in the deepest of oceans. 

And Seiner knows it well, with Logan, Tany, Rian, Andrei, Malak, and Eddie on the deck of the Arleigh Burke of the right to provide some cover as well. Lucy is as usual the co-pilot alongside Seiner inside the boat, ready to check for any potential intrusions in the oceans. As indicated by the slight smile on her face, it seems that there's no disruption at the moment that can be noticed.