Chapter 18 - Semper Iunctus

40 minutes later

Flying overhead the skies of the city, Amira zips around at enough altitude to spot Logan and friends. She does this while trying to dodge the explosive blasts coming from the AA guns around the city and the air fighters dogfighting near the clear skies or the clouds, with their contrails drawing circles and zig-zags. Even near such a battlefield, she does not hold back in her search as she soars through the skies, not even the loud noises can stop her.

Logan...I lost his presence a while ago...just how did he manage to reach my mind?

Amira sees below to the city, one big place of chaos and destruction, as the sight of gunfire, fiery vehicles, a huge amount of destroyed buildings and corpses scattered around it. She tries to breathe heavily as she turns around on every side of the city to spot her friends while dodging planes that are shot down from each side.  Nothing happens from it. Not one trace of them, not with such chaotic landscape. 

She tries to fly lower to try again clearly, in spite of the danger of being near the firefight around the city. Even with the nearby blasts, her gaze solely focused on finding what's dear for her.

But as she descends a bit further, she turns her gaze to a particular scene near Charcot Avenue. Tiny dots of light appear from every part of it while some explosions are heard. Looking closely, she discovers what it is.

A battle, one in which Human soldiers are holding back from Zlocans while protecting rescued civilians.

***

Among the people being carried away from the blast are a mother and her daughter, who appears to be at least seven years old. Holding on to her mother's hand while being grazed by the fire, they try to reach safely to the Human frontline, to reach their newly founded freedom. But as they run, the daughter falls down near the ground. The impact almost severe enough to injure her left knee.

"Sarah!" the mother shouts as she tries to grab her back.

"Mommy!"

"Get to cover, now!" a fellow soldier shouts as he grabs the mother from trying to reach her daughter.

"No! My child is trapped in there! She'll get killed!"

"I said get to cover!"

She can't help but futilely reach out to her daughter as she's being dragged away and screaming for her by the soldier, who didn't look like one with the same kind of spirit.

"Mommy! Don't leave me! Mommy"

Amira shakes up briefly as she turns around on both sides while trying to breathe steadily.

Humans...they're in danger! But...what if they...could they be...Should I...

Her pause in trying to determine her actions makes it very clear at that point, what happened to her back in both Stanislaus and the training room is something she couldn't shake off, the first demonstration of human scapegoating and abuse for the sake of improving someone. What else will she risk when it comes to fearing anyone but her friends?

She continued to breathe heavily, still undetermined, and at the last moment, she closes her eyes breathing deeply.

Stop this, you say? How about if you stop your nonsense about her?!

I won't allow such tragedy to repeat among good friends today!

Are you really putting your life at hand with someone you've just met a few days ago?