Chapter 64 - Prelude to Armageddon

Around the same time. Briefing Room.

"The Zlocu's final line of defense in the US seems to be one of particular mystery and worry. Ever since the mission to take back Quinn AFB, there's been reports of communications from our troops being cut-off and anyone entering to be reported missing or even dead. A common pattern is that most of these reports came from the Desert Region, Santa Barbara, and even the Channel Islands. We suspect that there's a special concentration of troops and firepower in the area, enough to establish many bases and facilities for their activities. It is for this reason that unless we can find evidence of the suspected super weapons in the area and how they operate, our campaign in the region may be jeopardized."

The map then highlights Kern Country, with some arrows pointing downwards in the affected region.

"This operation will be mainly part reconnaissance, part interception near Kern Country. All available units on land and air will be equipped with custom radio devices as well as photographic equipment to catch any possible evidence of these attackers. Bear in mind that this will put you at risk in engaging enemy ground troops, and engagement with enemy fighters who will take advantage of this barrier. There will be two squadrons in total. Alpha Team will take care of capturing all evidence in the air, with the Warriors and the Crusaders providing escort. Gamma Team's job will be the same as Alpha, but on the ground instead, with G.o.D. Squad providing company just in case.

"Once all is said and done, head back to the flight route taken for the mission and return to base with all the evidence that you've gathered. We may suffer a few losses, but this is the best possible measure high command has taken in order to find out how to pass the gridlock. That is all." 

50 minutes later

On California State Route 178, a convoy of light utility vehicles patrol the barren roadway. Huge green mountains covered with rocks, dirt, and trees lined the eastern horizon, reflecting in the blue sky. The summer sun beat down on the cars, making the asphalt shimmer beneath. The main car has a high-frequency antenna, providing communication with the rest of the team, while the lead car has a standard UEF license plate and is painted with the symbol of the faction as well.

In the skies above, a formation of planes provides a view of the landscape, watching to catch any sort of suspicious activity in the area. The planes flying overhead included F-22s, MiG-35s, and Mirages, as well as the Crusader's planes and their AWACS, as well as the Warriors. As with the convoy on the ground, the sunlight reflects off of almost every visor and canopy of the planes, complicating matters even more. Despite all these issues, everything must move forward for the mission's success.

"Hey Temperance, can you hear me? Just look at the view," Mariama asks through a boxy radio as she observes the landscape from her cockpit, even with the sunrays covering them.

"Yes, I can see it. Is there something wrong?" Rosa says.

"Nothing. It's just that this land is fortunately lucky enough to be spared from them or us."

"It is very fortunate indeed. But with any sort of trick the Zlocu can pull off, I'm not sure if it'll be that long for this land." Mariama only sighs in response.

"When you look at it, there's not much difference between how each one handles the land in times like this."

"And what does that make of us?"

"That the only disturbance here are us. Which is a shame." In moments like this, it's probably a fair point to add when one looks at the circumstances in battle.