Chapter 85 - Warmth of the Human Soul

2 hours later. 

The open field near the base entrance is still surrounded by a handful of fences and some of the arid sand and rocks that make up a big part of the zone in California. While it may not be one of the prettiest sights in terms of traveling spots and trekking from state to state, it's still quite a moment in which one can have a moment for themselves if it comes to solitude. A time of introspection for those who could need to check into themselves every now and then, even in the heat of the desert. 

And in some of these occasions, it can even involve the unexpected of faces that could need such introspections with themselves. 

The door opens, revealing the mesmerizing figures of the Crusaders, some like Kamis and Rosa stretching their arms out and swinging them for a bit, while Mariama only takes a deep breath as she scans her surroundings alongside Andreas, who only nods at his wingman's reaction. Not that it was merely to agree on how relaxing it is, but perhaps that it could be the best time they can have on their own, away from excessive demand from higher-ups. 

"Man, taking some time outside really is the best medicine, my back almost hurts from packing and unpacking for hours," Kamis says with a near whispery tone after stretching himself a bit more while Rosa steps aside from him. 

"Well, you know what they say, it's easier to plan the next course of action when you're tired," Rosa replies with a chuckle as well. And by always carrying a good mood in getting the team together even in the most exhausting of times, it's certainly a wood to light up the mood. "So, what kind of activities would you like to carry, my friends?" 

"You know, there's plenty of stones to throw around here, that's for sure," Mariama says while giving a smirk, which prompts a sigh from Andreas and glancing at her. 

"I mean, it's a matter of getting creative you know. Or maybe go around one of those tents housing refugees. I'm sure they could need some company every now and then." 

"Hmm, you feel getting close to something you remember back then?" Kamis asks, eyeing Andreas while raising an eyebrow. Andreas only replies by clearing his throat while glancing aside from him. 

"Yeah, family business before the Zlocans ruined everything..." Andreas says while meekly scratching his cheek. An awkward silence falls on Kamis as he stares at him for a bit, unaware of such past business with him. But before he can reply, Rosa places her left hand on Kamis' shoulder, while placing her other hand on Andreas' shoulder, tapping them for a bit. 

"It's alright you two, it happens sometimes when it comes to certain pasts we weren't aware of before, not harm intended too." Rosa comforts with a smile on her face, while Mariama only nods in response to this without turning around to face them. However, before they can come up with another topic to talk about, Andreas notices something that's behind Mariama's back, a peculiar figure that's enough to catch his attention and stare at the figure for a bit, even leaning back and forth to see it. 

"You OK, man? Found a weasel?" Kamis asks as he notices Andreas' tilting, something that Rosa notices as well. 

"Isn't that... Amira?" Andreas says, which prompts the rest of the team, even Mariama to turn around to face the direction of the one Andreas spotted as Amira. 

And sure enough, it is her indeed. 

Standing near one of the wooden poles outside the base, she scans around the place, her face as blank and vast as the snow. It could be a moment for her to be at peace, yet at the same time, could be a sign of wanting something more. Something that could make her feel understood.