Chapter 109 - Wandering Son

Roughly at the same time. Unknown location. 

Betrayed. 

Forgotten. 

Mistreated. 

Abandoned. 

Such thoughts echo through the minds of children from many parts of the world, all starting to appear whenever they feel inadequate to their parents, committing a sin unworthy of the family's name, or even something considered so disgraceful that it's even enough to make the parents wish they never had said child at all. And of course, the child's fate is heavily dependent on how forgiving the parents may be over such misgivings, even praying that it's not death itself that comes for them, but as many say, there are fates worse than death. 

Deep inside a facility, one room full of metal walls with enough light is spacious enough to leave space for many corridors for all individuals to pass through, whether it's cargo for new supplies needed in battle, equipment for certain experiments to be delivered to labs, evidence to be provided in certain meetings, and so much more that can serve as something useful for the Zlocu and their collaborators to transport with. It's even flexible enough to carry enough personnel when they need to head to other stations in the facility. 

However, sometimes there's more than just Zlocans and fellow Humans who roam around those corridors. 

One particular figure hides near one of the walls while some Human scientists walk around the room, chatting with their topic while the small figure avoids contact with them. As they head off, the small figure sprints away from the hiding spot, gazing at both sides in an attempt to know which way to go, all while breathing heavily and sweating for a bit. 

A young boy with black hair and blue eyes, wearing white pajamas from shirt to trousers, almost like there's something else missing for the boy as he glances at each corridor in his surroundings. 

What... is this? Where's mum and dad?! Such are the many things inside him as he's lost on his own in this unfamiliar and cold place for him, one devoid of joy and warmth and replaced with one of dread and coldness. Certainly not a place for a child to go and live in. Between the myriads of doors and elevators, it's like one complicated maze designed by those who either seek to break the prisoners inside, or even for the thrill of a challenge in getting out of there. 

The boy turns around near a door that's fully metallic and although with a door knob, it's too high for him to grab it. Seeing no further option, he turns to the corridor on the left, where in front of it is a wall without any door or elevator in sight to get through. Along the way, the boy stumbles on what seems to be a blue picture book on the ground, likely dropped by an unfortunate being when they fell in the Zlocu's grasp. After taking some deep breaths, the boy picks up the book, as he turns each page, there all bear one striking similarity. 

Pure blank. Devoid of any life to carry a unique identity. Such is enough to make the boy widen his eyes and gasp silently over this. But before he can react any further, footsteps are felt nearby, to which he swiftly goes to a slightly open door carrying the cleaning equipment, all to stay out of sight from the approaching figures. 

They turn out to be two Zlocan guards, those who only carry handguns in their holsters while only wearing the bare minimum of what allows for protective gear to carry around on duty. 

"Do you think the latest divisions from China will provide us with the necessary backup for the city?" a male guard asks his companion. 

"You can bet we do, they've been around since the early stages when we invaded here," the female guard replies as they walk steadily around the corridor, all while the young boy observes them with a bit of trembling.