Chapter 138 - Queen of the Ring

10 minutes later. 

Away from the home, there lies a stretched alley that connects one withered street from north to south, surrounded by a line of buildings and houses that look like the relics of a bygone era, or crudely improvised due to construction. The brick walls are weathered with graffiti on top of them, with puddles of murky water that is spread across the potholed pavement, all of which reflect the glare of the sun like a multi-layered crystal. Combined with the absence of living beings in the area, it all seems like there are parts that aren't meant to be known in the Foxhole. 

Such can be the result when many run away from the face of danger beyond comprehensible belief, one where regardless of what is like, it's a better result than being under the grasp of the Zlocu and their Human collaborators, away from the devious and hellish "tests" that abound every corner in the territories of "Evolving Zones". No matter how little food or supplies there can be, or even the bare amount of security, the Foxhole is considered to be the best place there can be for those who wish to be left alone. 

But can such a city maintain itself for that long? 

In one corner near a closed barber shop, three individuals are leaning toward each other near one of the walls of the shop. The first one is a very bulky and tan-skinned man whose muscles bulge beneath the fabric of the old leather jacket with a yellow mohawk and a sneering face. The second one is slender and light-skinned compared to the first one, wearing an old camouflaged uniform with torn-down green pants to boot while wearing an eyepatch on the left eye. Finally, the third one is one dark-skinned man who wears a blue trenchcoat, black shirt and a hockey mask with one golf club on his left hand. 

"So, when we're gonna strike, boss man?" the first thug asks while clenching his fingers with fingerless gloves. 

"Around four minutes, give or take, but it has to be as swiftly as possible," the leader replies as he hits the floor with the tip of the club. 

"Probably, but, are you sure it would be worth the fortune? There's barely money in every part of this damned place anyway," the second thug replies, only for the first one to smack him in the neck with his left hand, making him flinch and yell for a bit. 

"Everything is worthy for a fortune, you nimrod, even instant noddles are as rare as caviar in here!" the first thug retorts, only for the leader to step in before he can smack him any further. 

"Save this fight for later, my boys, 'cause we need to focus on what's important." 

"Yeah yeah, I get it," the first thug says while waving his hand and glancing away from the leader with a scowl on his face. 

"That means getting focused in the action too, 'Blaze'." 

"But what about the sheriff? You would risk pissing the sheriff, don't ya?" the second thug asks as he looks around the area with his eyes darting as well. 

"The sheriff would be busy snooping around with the sheep, so don't worry too much, for as long we can get rich from this," the leader replies while chuckling a bit. 

"Hell yeah, and with that, the Helldivers will be known for many, even the babies!" Blaze says while laughing a bit over the implications of what the robbery means. From that, it seems that lawlessness is the only rule of law in the Foxhole despite the presence of people like Russ. 

But just as the three Helldivers start making any move to rob the barber shop, three spherical objects fall down to their feet near the wooden entrance, all being nested sawdust and paper cups colored in red while the fuses close near the center of the devices resembling cherries. And just as the three glance at them, all three explosives erupt in a display of fiery blasts that, while small, still have enough force to make the three flinch and yell.