Chapter 50 - Birds of Prey

September 13th, 2026. 16:50

The sky is a golden orange, with the sun sinking on the horizon. In bright pools, the last few rays of sunlight hit large mirrors and sconces and reflected on the ground. The air is crisp and clear, untainted by a single breeze. The stillness magnifies this moment and makes it feel like an eternity. The silence echoes as if trying to spread into every part of this moment. The quiet feels like peace, a respite from a busy day.

At least from those on the ground. Near the tarmac of an airfield, Mariama jogs through the grasses as she does so often. Her mind wanders back to when she first arrived at the base. Mercenaries like her were in no need to serve something too great for a long time, not when it concerns certain acts that benefit the client. An ear-piercing sound reaches her ears, and she quickly turns around. She sees an aircraft, a much smaller F-16, coming in. It lands near the front edge of the field, about two hundred feet away from where she was running and closer than she had seen before. Despite this sight, Mariama continues with her routine. 

"Bet you're admiring the view from here, right Mariama?" a voice asks, which makes Mariama stop in her track at once. She makes a slight turn to the right where the voice comes from, but it is near her position. She sees the source, being none other than Malak herself, standing a few meters away, wearing a purple tank top and sporting a slight smile on her face. 

Mariama looks up at Malak, "I don't know what you mean."

Malak smirks, "You sure? You look like you want to say something."

Mariama is silent and instead stares at the sky.

"Well, here's your chance," Malak extends her hand to Mariama, who looks back at Malak. "First, how's your day? You know there's something else that makes you stay here for a while."

Mariama glances at the sinking sun for a bit, her expression remaining as still as stone while Malak crosses her arms in response. "Probably something about these days. All the combats and R&R, the kind of things we all do for our well-being, I suppose. But I'm fine. What about you?"

Malak nods, "We have a lot of work to do. I can't just relax, not when I'm dealing with the press blaring on the TV and phones about what happened a few days ago. At the very least, I'm glad everyone is alive."

Mariama only nods, "Barely, but yeah. And what are you doing here?"

"Oh, nothing really, I just wanted to stretch my legs out a little. You know, need some free movement these days." Malak chuckles.

Mariama raises her eyebrow, "It looked more like something. I mean-" Mariama stops herself short of saying anything bad, although the tone of her voice suggests otherwise.

Malak laughs, "Don't worry, I know what you meant. I'm here to get some fresh air, that's all. I've been cooped up inside for too long."

Mariama nods again, "That's understandable. Well, I'll be going."

"Wait, Mariama!" Malak calls after her. Mariama stops in her tracks, looking back at Malak, as she raises another eyebrow.

"You said you wanted to talk about something else, right?

"Well, yes. And it's about Sylvester. Last I heard, brigadier asshole just sent a request to the high command to demote him and relieve him from all operations in North America. All because of that day even though he too should have anticipated a trap of sorts. Can you believe it?" Malak replies with a frown and dour tone. Even after a few days, what they saw is still well printed in everyone's minds, even the most hardened. 

"I think you're right. But then, again don't be surprised. Those officer types aren't the sharpest tools in the shed, even Sylvester himself. So even if you disagree with the decision, you may see it coming."