Chapter 113 - Foster the People

May 20th, 2021. 10:50. Dallas University. 

And then... that day arrived. 

In a vast and wide library, each bookshelf was brimmed with books placed in alphabetic order, each with its own particular sets of spikes and their respective colors, whether it included the title of the book or not. Most shelves were placed in the biology and social studies categories, with a handful of books set in the historical and sports categories and so much more. It had enough variety for any type of student who was willing to come by and see what they could read when they were on their break time or needed something important to research for themselves. 

But at times, it would provide a safe haven for those unaware of the dangers around them. 

At a table located near the empty receptionist's desk, Tany was reading a book with the title; "To Mend Shattered Hearts", one with a cover that had three hearts with stitches around them and IV cables attached to them, almost as if it's a self-help book to explore in a certain way. Given what happened between her and Diego, probably it was a sorely needed source of support for those who experienced such heartbreaks like here even if it feels like a rudimentary way of getting it. 

She was reading through every line and page of it, her eyes moving left and right like a typewriter of previous centuries. With her only company in the library being herself, it appeared that she picked a suitable moment to be left alone in her thoughts over complicated matters of her psyche, especially when it concerned failed relationships. 

Each turn of the page felt more and more like attempts to reach for answers in what to do when it came to such people split apart over incorrigible ideals. 

But just as she was about to turn to the next page, a loud noise was felt, enough to reach inside the classroom, which prompted Tany to spring right out of her seat. 

What the hell...? 

What would have produced those loud sounds enough to reach the library? And what could they be? 

For that, he grabbed her stuffed bag while storing the book in one of the pockets as she wore it on her left shoulder, heading for the exit that led her to a staircase that led upstairs and downstairs. She was idle, wondering the source of the sound she just heard as she took steady breaths as many thoughts rushed into her head, desperate for an answer to these occurrences in a seemingly empty room. 

Then, the noise got clearer and louder. 

A gunshot. 

She bolted her head downward to where the source came from, as she rushed through the steps, and her ventilation was getting aster and desperate, as it seemed that what she feared was coming to fruition, something that plagued her beloved nation for far too long in the latest decades. One she could hope that it would be at least one individual to take care of. 

She pushed a door as she turned left, revealing a wide hallway filled with doors and green lockers, as faint alarms blared in the background, as well as some distant chatter between people. Whether it was the one she knew or not was another question entirely. 

Tany darted her gaze in all directions of the hallway as she kept a stiff neck and posture, staring with wide eyes with endless pacing plaguing her body like no tomorrow. 

Just what is it? Who's doing this?! So much to fear when it came to a classroom all by herself. 

But as she took another step near the hallway, a pair of hands grabbed her hands and another placed a cloth on her mouth, to which Tany whimpered and tried to kick away the one responsible as her eyes darted in all directions over the ones responsible for this sudden action. All of these replied with a tightening grip on the hands as Tany's muffled shrill was felt within the hands.