Chapter 73 - Charging Through

October 3rd, 2026. 09:33

Inside a room, just as the early morning rays shine through the curtains of the window that reflects on some boxes and the bed, Rian hits on the table near the bed, holding his phone as he scrolls down a set of images, with the name "May-May" at the top of the page. Among them include his sister posing with other refugees wearing only white shirts, cooking some rib strips for them, tending to some plants in another camp, eating instant ramen in a bowl in her hands finally knitting a baby-sized dress for cold weather.

This set is further compounded with Rian texting something for her and ends up being the following: "You're growing quite a lot, and makes me really proud. I honestly hope to God we can meet each other someday."

It takes a while for May-May to type some reply, but around a minute, it arrives in this form: "I'm so glad, kuya!! i love youuuu".

With one slight smile on his face, only replies with a heart emoji and turns off the phone, then lets out a sigh as he slumps to the bed next to him. Even in these times, their time apart has been quite a while for both of them. It's his duty to remain on the battlefield, yes, but still, getting the chance someone who can be with him is one feeling that many soldiers, Human or not, can year when it comes to even passing months. But as always, duty has to come first in these matters at hand.

And Rian knows it well.

May-May, please understand, even if I didn't want to, my services have to come first. Just hold on a little bit longer, I promise...

He sighs once more, glancing at the window next to him as the sunrise dawns on him. Even if it could mean being a refreshing sight, it doesn't feel like it at the moment. Almost as distant as a bright star in the bright night, even if you can see it or even love it, you can't feel it within you even if you wanted to. Especially when he went as far as under enemy lines, far away from the nearest camp in San Francisco. And still, the sense of the encounter lingers on and on. How long would it take, he wonders? Perhaps not too long. Especially since the war in the US may end soon.

But meeting May-May once more is not one of those guarantees for Adrian. Especially with the rather tense ordeal between the citizens and refugees. And if worse comes to pass...

So many thoughts, so little time to properly act on them.

But before he can do anything else, two knocks are heard outside the door, two firm yet not too harsh knocks to be exact. Even though Rian doesn't glance at it, he sighs heavily while narrowing his eyes and frowning. As far as he's concerned, he would rather be on his own time rather than attend to a potential nuisance.

"Mr. Adrian, you there?" a female voice asks on the other end.

"Nah, you're talking to his twin brother," Rian replies with a dry tone as he still refuses to glance at the door.

"C'mon, don't be an asshole. It's just a little favor on behalf of Colonel Walker," a male and slightly older voice replies. Rian can only groan in response as he finally takes a look at the door while standing up, yet doesn't head there yet.

"Is it really that small or you're trying to trick me?" A sigh is heard while the female voice murmurs to the male one.

"Step outside and you'll find out so, please. It's a simple favor," the male voice replies once more. Rian can only roll his eyes while letting out another sigh, now he knows that they'll continue pestering him unless he complies immediately. He walks to the door while grabbing the knob and then pulling it away. In front of him are a fair-skinned bald man and a fair-skinned brunette with thin eyes. She holds a notepad as well.