Chapter 131.1 - Cradle to the Grave

October 23rd, 2026. 11:55. Underground tunnels. 

Deep into a clandestine metallic passage underneath the rockiest of terrains in the land in the Evolved Zone, with an air as foreign as the most unknown places any living being has ever heard, it's one path that can lead to the most peculiar discoveries. It's narrow and dimly lit with only the lights in the ceiling showing every step ahead and behind any explorer that heads in that way, as every footstep echoes through the cold and unfeeling metal that surrounds the passage, almost like it's by design in how the untrained travelers should feel. 

The travelers on this occasion are the EW and Wolfpac that is. 

They are making haste with all they can as some grimace at the scent of damp earth as well as a distant odor of rustic iron, with Lucy adjusting the collar of her shirt as she and the rest keep walking. But even when it seems that there's a clear exit at the very end of the tunnel, many of them can't help but glance at each side of the wall, almost like it feels like a trap may spring at any moment and attack them with everything. 

Yet, no matter how many times they glance, the static sight of the walls remains, with the other noise that can be heard being that of faint hums of machinery in distant corners of the building. As more lights illuminate the path up until one that shows a pathway to a platform, many thoughts linger on their heads over the secrets that may lie ahead, especially since it's one from the Evolved Zone where they don't usually operate as of late. So many calamities, and just for once, they must get something that can give the other people a chance to strike back, no matter how small it may look. 

"Are we even sure that is the place Bif told us about?" Rian asks while he keeps his hands near the hilt of the saber in check. 

"It certainly has to be, otherwise, this tunnel wouldn't be that long," Rita replies while she carries her pilebunker in her back. Rian merely scoffs in response. 

"Guess it was built for a marathon for the freaks who lived here," Rian replies. Some silence follows as both glance at a peculiar spot on their left, not on the wall but right on the floor. Almost like they're observing someone that's missing from the spot. 

For that alone is enough to make her sigh and shake her head. It's been some days already and he hasn't come back from that grueling day. 

This doesn't feel right for me... 

"He's gonna recover soon, at least that's what we can hope for," Rian says as he nods at her and gives a brief smile. She merely nods in response before continuing onward with the mission. 

As for the Warriors, the main quartet are in, likely to keep security in their posts at the Evolving Zones. No one would want to make a careless move by leaving empty posts in an assignment after all. 

"Are you sure Jack, Malak and the rest would handle it without us as fine as they can try?" Seiner asks while holding a tablet that shows the underground passage on the screen, walking next to Logan who merely gazes in front of the wall that's slightly nearer. 

"I have faith in them, you can count on that, Seiner... For as long they won't waste themselves pointlessly," Logan says in a near-direct tone without shifting his gaze at Seiner. This is while Amira glances at her with a frown, likely from the choice of words as well as reading bits of his mind. 

Logan... I hope you can hold yourself in here...  They continue walking on the cold road, with each step almost feeling like there are others around to strike them down with all their strength and leave not even a mere bone of them intact by all means necessary. Even when nothing else remains, those possibilities remain deep within them, enough to shake some like Tany to the very core of every fiber of her body, and even Rian to an extent.