Chapter 3.1 - Rise of the Heroes

Never in life could they have expected the day's turn of events to become something even more surprising.

They stand in a vast, horizonless white. All surrounded by shiny pillars with mirrors around each corner. Whispers cascade over the foursome from all around.

"Where are we?" Logan asks.

"Just what is this bloody place? And why does it smell like... no, not lavender exactly, but almost floral?" Seiner asks while raising his voice before his nose picks up a peculiar scent around the room.

"Are—are—are we in heaven? D—dead...? Oh dios, please no..." Tany says, biting her lips and looking at everything around her. Her reflection appeared in each mirror above, decorated with white, golden metal.

"I think not, Tany. I feel this is a place that looks exactly like the one described in the books related to the Guardians..." Amira says.

"What Guardians?" Seiner asks.

"I have heard they're some sort of entities, almost like observers from beyond... not sure if they're gods or anything, but they could be something that extends beyond the stars."

Seiner scoffs in response. "As if we're all just their hamsters, if that's what you mean. All rolling for eternity... let me tell ya, I still feel lots of bull coming from you."

"I may understand what you are trying to say, but whatever this place is, it is something beyond physical reach," Amira says.

"Eh? Oh, cool!" Tany says as she reaches for her pocket to look for her phone, but as with most instances of dealing with the unknown, it's very trivial to do a thing like that, especially when drained.

Tany can only look quietly at her phone for a moment while the rest turn to look at her.

"Eh, if you truly know them, call them later because I really want to show this. No, nothing malicious at all, hehe," Tany says as she sheepishly hides her phone back. Seiner glares at her in irritation.

"Next you'll pick the option for a boy band, which is quite a wonder..." Seiner replies with an eye roll.

But before they can react to anything, they hear a smooth and elegant sound from a distance. Logan is the first to notice the sound and soon sees that it's coming from a nearby stairway to another altar.

He slowly walks into it, with the rest following suit. With each climbing step, the sound grows closer. And even if they're slow ones, they're clearly ones well deserved for a suitable curiosity for that sound. Then, the long chords sound like a cello.

Getting closer, all while feeling the smooth concrete below them, they see a white hooded figure with black stripes around the robe's arms. The figure's playing delicately, almost to where it doesn't change the tenor. Just like a true musician would do it every time they can play something. Even in war.

The four finally reach the altar, locking their eyes on the hooded figure. And after some moment of playing the melody with the cello, the figure stops playing, laying down the cello while holding the bow near one of the strings.

A deafening silence, and yet the four cannot help but still see the allure of the music.

"Excuse me, whatever you are, do you know where we are?" Logan asks. Silence is the only answer coming from it.

"Maybe what I said could be impolite for you, but as new visitors around here, it would be appreciated if you could tell us something at least."

Silence again.

Seiner then approaches him in a fit of irritation.

"Excuse me! Stop being a flimsy mute tosser this instant and give us-" Seiner says, trying to touch the figure's shoulder. The figure's robes fall to the floor, empty of anything.