Chapter 58 - You Get What You Deserve

September 20th, 2026. 20:40

In contrast to the dark roads with the visible stars from above in the darkest of deserts, the white lights in FOB Garcia are bright enough, yet still capable of showing the clear sky, a duality of nature and technology. With the setting sun, it leaves behind the moon and planets to illuminate the night, which is as black as the voids of untold mysteries and even dangers. 

A large moon hangs over the land, its light reflected from the surface as it rises into the air. With one glance at the horizon, the sky could be seen clearly, though that was only when you looked directly up. It's how Earth is made up after all, and yet, many quirks from the environment are still left undiscovered to this day. 

The crossroads outside the entrance, surrounded by the white lampposts hanging above to illuminate the ground, is entirely empty. Devoid of any sort of Human activity, no trace of a sound of speaking or singing or even whistling from afar, not even the sound of footsteps from any sort of shoe or boot. Almost like the sight of a temple long forgotten in the depths of time, all types of human control are absent in its wake.

But then,  faint footsteps are heard nearby, at least one when the sight of the base can be visibly from afar. The lampposts illuminate the figure advancing into the unknown. One with a particular green jacket, a holstered silver hilt of a blade-like weapon, and dog tags hanging from his collar with tan skin. 

Rian Aguila in the flesh, his expressionless gaze that longs into the dark unknown in his path in spite of the lights surrounding him. He sighs as he continues advancing, it's been a while since had something important to do. Just some minor skirmishes here and there, but that's it. It's all been quiet on their front for weeks. Was it because of a lesser need for a soldier like him? Or did they just want a long break from the most hardened battles that there are in this nation? Such a dilemma is present for those that yearn for more.

Rest... It's quite a long one alright.

Questions uttered in a single day, to be answered in another time, they say. 

He continues his long walk until he glances at something bright in the distance. A camp of sorts? The only thing that has that kind of illumination on the road are the barracks deep within the base. Some faint lights are seen spread out in the distance as well, but this one is seen brighter, enough for Rian to head in the direction of the light itself.

Heading closer, he sees what looks like to be a military barrack of sorts. The barrack looks firmly built, in spite of standing on a dim-lit field, a pool of light placed on the ground like a spotlight. A small fence can be seen around the perimeter, with posters and flags of other countries. A post nearby says "Post Drifter: Only for the lost souls". A familiar word for Rian. Peaking inside, the room inside is well lit, it seems to be a mess hall of some sort.

Rian approaches the door and opens it. Inside, some men with white tanktops sit on tables, a few people standing behind them. Behind them are two massive servers that have been converted into makeshift bunk beds for anyone who needs to sleep for the night. On the right side next to Rian, it's a tan-skinned man heating some uncooked meat and vegetables with some oil in a grill machine.

His back is turned towards Rian, but that doesn't change much from what Rian is used to. The man turns around slightly and gives Rian an eye smile.

"I didn't think we had company so late," The man whispers. His voice is smooth and tender with a hint of honey in his voice. Rian only shrugs.

"I was passing by. Didn't know you were here." The man chuckles in response.

"Many people do nowadays. Do you happen to be in the volunteer regiment?"