Chapter 103 - A Pack of Hungry Wolves

July 6th. 14:50. Los Angeles Suburbs. 1 year ago. 

The summer heat couldn't get any more enticing for some, uncomfortable for others as soon as it started. The sun's rays shone through every corner of the neighborhood as some cars parked near the sidewalks, with nearby houses yet with few pedestrians walking through. Most likely they were busy with certain matters than just contemplating the summer heat, perhaps still at work or even doing a handful of preparations to enjoy every sort of activity related to summer. It all seemed the perfect season to hang out with those close to those who enjoy a good time in places like Los Angeles. 

At least on the surface. 

On the sidewalk on the right side, a certain individual walked steadily while carrying a white box enveloped by a golden ribbon, holding it with both hands the male figure breathed steadily. He wore a grey shirt with some blue jeans. It was also accompanied by a letter that said: "From Julian with love, to Dad!". It was certainly a perfect-looking birthday gift to be delivered by Julian, who tried to be as secure as possible as he glanced at every corner of the street and even to his back, almost like there would be someone who would interrupt this moment for his father, Jason. 

Guess the coast is clear. Hope I'm not too late to deliver this... Julian sighed as he turned back to his front, where there was nobody in front to disturb his routine as he continued to walk in the direction of his house, in time for his old man's birthday. 

However, just as he was about to smile, an arm grabbed his shoulder while turning Julian around in the direction of the assailant. A tan-skinned man with a black buzzcut hair with some piercings around the left ear and lips. He carried a wide smirk as he held Julian who started breathing heavily. 

"W-what now?! Who are you, even?!" Julian asked as his lips quivered and his arms trembled at the sight of the man. 

"Carrying some stolen cake from those who needed the most, junior cop?" the man replied, all while a similarly tan-skinned but bald man snatched the box away from Julian's arms, doing so while letting out small chuckles in front of a trembling Julian. 

"Jones' Good Tasters? It's obvious someone as privileged as him would get to buy those types of cakes!" the bald man said as he tried to remove the ribbon around the box. Julian tried to break free from the other man's grasp to no avail as the man opened the cake box, revealing a circular cake with chocolate icing and toppings, with a handful of black cookies placed in a circular fashion around the layers of the cake. There was a white chocolate syrup decoration in the center of the cake that had the words: "Happy Birthday, Dad!", which made the men laugh even more. 

"Your dad? Do you mean the racist piece of shit that lives a few yards from here?! Well, I guess there's a way to rectify this tainted cake from you!" the bald man said as he snatched the cake away from the box, while his partner landed a deck right on Julian's nose, the impact was enough to knock him down to the floor as the two men kept laughing at him. 

"Face it, pendejo, we're saving you from the corruptions of your murderous dad, mark our words!" the buzzcut man said as he and his partner ran away with the cake to the left side of the neighborhood, all while Julian winced from the impact of the punch as he placed his finger on the bleeding nose. Glancing down at the new empty box with the golden ribbon near the sideways, tears fell down from his eyes as he tried to hold back his tears while covering his face, muffled sobs could be heard at that moment as he remained grounded without anything to deliver. 

It was supposed to be a day of celebration for him and his dad, one where they could be together at peace despite everything around them. But one's shadow can linger on others, and Julian was an unfortunate victim of this tendency, looked down on something just because of his dad.