Chapter 66 - Imagine

September 23rd, 2026. 13:50. San Diego

The battlefields are shifting once more.

It's been a while since the mission in San Diego, where the once-standing stadium of Qualcomm was demolished by missile strikes after the rescue of the navigators. Security increased for a while as a result of the event, all to make sure that any potential infiltration could be dealt with swiftly.

But as the days went by, those measures diluted from time to time, as armed resistance with the help of PMCs intensified their tactics in preparations for long-term partisan attacks, in order to make sure the Zlocan grasp of the city is thrown away, all to be freed once more under the hands of those who fight for the most righteous of causes.

And that has just reached its peak on that day.

In Downtown San Diego, the atmosphere couldn't more fitting for the time of the day. The smokes from the streets and some buildings shroud parts of the sky as a handful of hovercrafts fly in the skies, ready to spot any reported partisan or mercenary caught up in their attacks of Zlocans and the Human Inquisitors in every corner.

As for the streets, there are varying degrees of blank views and even sights worth from the most destructive battles. Many cars are scorched and left abandoned in the streets, some still engulfed in flames with either bullet holes or even impacts left by rockets or shells. Bodies littering the floor can be seen, both Humans and Zlocans alike. Amidst the line of bodies, bullets and blasters fly in almost every direction, as each combatant takes whatever cover they can take.

It did not matter if they are inside abandoned shops, entrances of corporate buildings, some deserted buses, or even inside the smoked wreckage of cars, all that matters are to take everything they can to win. Shouts of orders are heard in distant corners of every street, beings either listening to their commanders or the officers leading their charges against their foes. Even with the deafening sounds of explosions, gunfire and blaster fire, all are determined to ensure the victory.

Near a fenced park on Market Street, a hovercraft opens its door, revealing two individuals who then take a jump outside, their sights on the ground in spite of the relatively high altitude they are taking. Despite this, the two manage to land firmly and without any potential damage, landing on all fours, with blades coming out of their arms piercing the ground below.

The Quripeno twins are back at it once more.

As they lift their heads to see their surroundings, their blades in their arms retract back to their flesh, getting up they see that apart from sounds of gunfire and explosions and some intercom announcements in Zlocan installed speakers, there's no single being in sight.

"Alright, so what's the next step, sis?" Rioso asks as he glances at her.

"Find any activity of rebellion, and deal with it immediately." Rioso frowns for a bit over this.

"But, wouldn't that mean involving killing...?" he asks with a soft-spoken tone. But before he can ask any further questions, Mora places her hand on his shoulder, tapping it for a bit before giving him a slight smile.

"We'll think of the methods, trust me." With that, they march away from the park, leaping over the fence as they scout for the streets for any sort of activity. Even without anything in sight, they keep themselves close to each other if it means spotting any sort of rebel activity or something concerning that may catch their attention.

"Think there was any sort of fun activity in this place before the war?" Rioso asks once more.

"It beats me, Rio. But right now, whatever it had, I'm sure all the fun was drained away when we arrived. Even Humans wouldn't stick around for this."