~:*:~ Eighteen ~:*:~

Tanner

There was still nothing I could do to separate Layne and Jesse from their shared dorm room. When I wasn't performing my floor leader duties or leading a frosh activity, I was either in the residency office making a fuss or knocking on doors in Massey to find someone willing to switch by dishonest means.

Despite his handsome face and his already circulating reputation as a sexual god, no girls wanted to switch with Layne to live with Jesse because there was no guarantee that they'd land him as a boyfriend, which meant they'd be subjected to walking in on him with other partners often. And of course having Layne switch with another guy was out of the question because then she'd still have a male roommate, plus she'd no longer be in the female wing of Massey. No one in a single room was willing to give up the luxury of solitude to live in a double, even when I offered to refund them double the difference in cost out of my own pocket.

It wasn't until I met a freshman girl named Leona that I felt hopeful. She was completely up for switching rooms with Layne because of how annoying her roommate was. I was also impressed by her rebellious attitude since she agreed to live with Jesse without reporting the change to the residency office, who would have immediately nixed the idea. It wouldn't matter that she was willing; the representative for Massey would just see this as the same problem with extra paper work.

And that's exactly what they said when they found out through an anonymous tip.

I had a suspicion that it was Jesse that sold me out.

So that was the end of it! Layne was stuck with Jesse, and therefore so was I.

I finally had a free night from duties and activities, so I spent my time with Layne in her room. We ate dinner and watched a movie on her lap top, though I can't say I particularly knew what it was about; I spent the entire time glancing around the room at Jesse's stuff, and then I glared at the door in anticipation for his return.

But Jesse was suspiciously absent all night. When midnight struck and the credits for our second film began to roll, I noticed that Layne had fallen asleep at some point. I moved the lap top and tucked her into bed, then left her room as quickly as possible.

Instead of immediately returning to my room, I decided to hit up the 24 hour mini-mart that was in the building across from Massey Residence. There were a couple of these shops across campus and they proved to be my life saver in my freshman year, particularly on nights when I was drunk and had the munchies.

As I was crossing the paved clearing between the buildings, I heard a pair of voices whispering from behind a tree. Cautiously, I moved towards the commotion to get a better look at what was going on.

Jesse was pinned against a tree by some burly guy who looked to be a senior, though he didn't belong to Massey Residence as a frosh leader or dorm leader. He had his fist wrapped around Jesse's collar, holding the boy in place so he couldn't run away. I assumed he was about to punch Jesse given the senior's intense stare, but I was startled to find that he had no intention of the kind.

The complete opposite, in fact!

The senior crushed his lips to Jesse's and they began fervently making out. Jesse pulled the senior closer by yanking his hair, and the senior's hands began to roam all over Jesse's body with excitement.

Once I was able to move again, I carefully tip-toed to safety so I could escape.

But I must be a creep or something, because I suddenly had an overwhelming desire to watch.

I hid at a safe distance and took in their interaction with great interest and confusion. This entire time I had assumed that Jesse was straight; especially given the attention he presented to and accepted from so many girls on campus. It was a huge part in my concern for Layne's safety! If I'd had just known that he was gay then I never would have bothered with the whole room-switching situation.