~:*:~ Ninety-Two ~:*:~

Jedson

When the game was over and the crowd began to disperse, Bright offered to go get me and my friends some drinks to cool off. He ran off before I could protest, leaving me in Nate's capable hands for the time being.

"You two seem to be doing better." Nate comments as he watches Bright disappear into the sea of moving people. "But I thought he wanted nothing to do with you?"

I shrug and smile, still baffled by the whole thing myself. "I guess he changed his mind."

Nate suddenly looks around like a skittish puppy, checking to make sure no one was eavesdropping on our conversation. "So what did you do to win him back? Are you two more than friends now? Did he say he loves you? Does that mean he believes in your confession of love? Does everyone know you're dating? Is going public about your relationship safe?"

I waved my casted hands in front of him to end this ridiculous line of questioning, "Woah there, Nate! Slow down. You just jumped way ahead of us regarding our progress; we've only managed to return to some semblance of friendship, I guess. I'm not ready to put my heart on the line like that again, even though he's making an effort to get to know me better and brave the bullies and internet trolls. I just want to make sure he wants me as more than just a friend, and that he's not just hanging out with me out of guilt for the freezer incident."

I leaned forward with my elbows comfortably on my knees. I examined his conflicting expressions has he listened to my words while actively relating them to something else that was on his mind. I smiled, ready to get to the real point of his curiosity.

Because there was only ever one thing on Nate's mind these days, and that was Paxton.

"I didn't do anything to win back Bright because he was never mine to lose. All I did was choose to stop pursuing him, and then he chose to start pursuing me I suppose! Again, I don't know yet if it's out of guilt or for friendship... or maybe if I'm lucky, it's out of love. But whatever the reason, I can't relate to what you're going through with Paxton."

He turned to me with wide eyes, slightly frightened by the notion. "I never said this had anything to do with Paxton..."

"You didn't have to. I can tell that something went wrong between you two, and now you want to know how to win him back."

He buried his face in his hands, embarrassed to be caught by me. But there was no use denying it, so he explained in a fast, muffled voice, "Paxton and I started dating in secret after I found out that he was my mystery girl, but then I got scared that people would find out and treat us badly, like they did to you and Bright. And honestly, I wasn't even sure if my feelings were genuine or if I felt responsible after saying all those words of devotion about my mystery girl. Sure, the sex is amazing... but I didn't think that was enough to make me gay all of a sudden! I hadn't even had sex with a girl yet, so what was I supposed to compare it to?! In the end, I pushed Paxton away and used helping you as an excuse for my absence. And then while he was away this past weekend, I fucked Emma. I hated every second of it, but in the process I realized that what I had with Paxton was real; I loved him so fucking much! But Paxton walked in on Emma and me asleep the next morning, so that's why he switched rooms with Chace and we're no longer dating. I'm just... Ugh! I'm an idiot, aren't I?"

I was stunned into silence for a moment as I absorbed all the information thrown my way. When I finally found my voice again, all I could think to say was: "Dude, we're all idiots when love is involved. I mean, I serenaded the guy I liked during a public contest despite his numerous objections against me! Yes, having sex with Emma was wrong... but cut yourself some slack and just power through until Paxton either forgives you or lays down the law for good. He might have moved out, but I doubt he's moved on just yet."